Blanket Waiver for D3

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
Was just discussing this possibility this morning with my two Freshmen DD's...their DIII school is locked up tighter than a drum!

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
What graduate program would allow for softball? I figure not many, especially at a D-1 school.

DD is a Physical Therapy student at a d3. It is a 7 year program. The student has some control over their scheduling so it is theoretically possible to play in year 5. But not easy.

The players that returned this year are Physical Therapy and Occupational Therapy. Honestly they returned this year more so because their senior year disappeared. They didnt want to end their softball career that way.

Jun 27, 2018
What does this mean, players have an extra two years now? My DD starts next fall and she’s looking at a 5 year program at a D3. How will this effect her, probably not at all except her team might have more than usual players on the roster?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mar 28, 2014
My DD starts next fall and she’s looking at a 5 year program at a D3. How will this effect her, probably not at all except her team might have more than usual players on the roster?
Since it's D3 probably not much at all. I don't know why a D3 coach would really care how many kids are on the team since they aren't on the hook for scholarship money. Anyone know?

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
DD was a freshman last year and that year will not count against her 4 year eligibility. 2021 won't count either. Basically she will be a freshman eligibility wise when she begins her Jr year.

Since it's D3 probably not much at all. I don't know why a D3 coach would really care how many kids are on the team since they aren't on the hook for scholarship money. Anyone know?

There are other expenses associated with each player that aren't related to scholarships. Uniforms, meals, hotels, Spring Break trip, air fare, chocolate milk after workouts, etc. When DD was recruited the coach at the time mentioned that he likes to keep his roster at 20. Something about that number is the number of players that can dress/travel for away games. However, I have seen many more than that on other D3 rosters. I just counted 34 for one team-only 1 Senior! Do you homework when you are checking out teams. One series last spring vs a team with a big roster. The coach found a way to get 20 players into the game for 3 games. Those games felt like 3 hour games and it didn't help that the umpire moved very slowly and took her sweet time. Coach laid into her a few times for crappy calls.

May 27, 2013
DD’s future school only confers bachelor degrees. I doubt many students will stick around unless they take double majors.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania

DD's team historically carries 22 but will exceed that this year. Even though there are no athletic scholarships, the team still has a budget it needs to maintain. Normally their largest expense is the Florida trip in the spring although I doubt they will do that this year.

Another consideration is that some conferences limit roster size during the playoffs. Roster size was also limited when they played in the NCAA's.

May 4, 2016
Are D3 schools playing this year? Looking for schedules of some the schools my DD is interested in seeing no games. NCAA scoreboard pages only shows a few games all year between what looks like the same small group of schools.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
Are D3 schools playing this year? Looking for schedules of some the schools my DD is interested in seeing no games. NCAA scoreboard pages only shows a few games all year between what looks like the same small group of schools.

The school that DD is committed to announced this week that they will only play home games and will not travel. But there's still no schedule online yet, so I'm not sure what is going on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802