"Big dog pitcher" a dying breed?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Is softball evolving past the "ride the big dog pitcher until she drops"?

That is, in the past, teams relied on one pitcher throughout the season and the CWS. Does it work anymore?

Every pitcher in the CWS has been hammered at least once. Yet, only Alabama and Georgia have went to their other pitchers. Both almost got into the championship even though they lack the "big gun".

It seems to me that the batters are much, much better than they used to be--both technically and mentally. Perhaps it is time for teams to have real relief pitchers.

Ray

Jun 6, 2009

That is, in the past, teams relied on one pitcher throughout the season and the CWS. Does it work anymore?

Every pitcher in the CWS has been hammered at least once. Yet, only Alabama and Georgia have went to their other pitchers. Both almost got into the championship even though they lack the "big gun".

It seems to me that the batters are much, much better than they used to be--both technically and mentally. Perhaps it is time for teams to have real relief pitchers.

Ray

I have been saying this for the last few years. I think in time relief pitching will evolve

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019

Ray
Has the big dog pitcher changed?

Hmmm? Dont think its changed much.
Big Dog is the Big Dog.
Perhaps its because they earn the spot ?!!!

Maybe now teams play more GAMES in a season...so other pitchers get games too?
Still the stars shine and get the most time and finish their games.

Last edited:
May 27, 2013
Granted this isn’t college softball, but to me it seems that the travel teams (18U level) who mix their pitchers in games have better success, especially when they pair a flamethrower with a good spinner. Batters are just getting used to the starter and then the switch is made which really messes with their timing.

No, I don’t have hard stats to prove that but I’ve seen enough games where this seems to work to a team’s advantage. The only time it doesn’t work is if one of those pitchers is having a really off-day.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Granted this isn’t college softball, but to me it seems that the travel teams (18U level) who mix their pitchers in games have better success, especially when they pair a flamethrower with a good spinner. Batters are just getting used to the starter and then the switch is made which really messes with their timing.

No, I don’t have hard stats to prove that but I’ve seen enough games where this seems to work to a team’s advantage. The only time it doesn’t work is if one of those pitchers is having a really off-day.
Understandable switching up pitchers if the pitcher is truely struggling.
Like the speed change/timing razzle dazzle!

Unfortunately at times see coaches switching pitchers not because of struggle and see the tide turn to opposing hitters.
(yeah...mixing in playing time it happens)

Games are short in most of travel ball.
Pitchers should be able to handle entire game.

Common in college to pitch entire game.
For #1 & #2

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2014

We have been doing that this season and DD is the spinner. Hard to complain coming in after a 70MPH flamethrower but it does work. DD looks like a magician after that speed has them swinging out of their shoes.

May 27, 2013
I think we are already seeing the trend change in college softball. I agree that most pitchers should be able to handle a whole game but to me, if a team carries 3-4 pitchers, no reason not to have a starter and reliever. Keeps arms fresher through the season for when you are getting into the WCWS, IMHO.

Apr 28, 2014
I think we are already seeing the trend change in college softball. I agree that most pitchers should be able to handle a whole game but to me, if a team carries 3-4 pitchers, no reason not to have a starter and reliever. Keeps arms fresher through the season for when you are getting into the WCWS, IMHO.
Especially with the heat of summer and possible injuries throughout the season. More capable pitcher the better

Mar 13, 2010

Ray

Look at UCLA. They ride their pitchers every year. Garcia did well last year but she pitched nearly every pitch.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Why change out the pitcher if they are throwing a successful game.
Disagree with shuffling just to shuffle.

At younger ages there are other aspects happening on the field
that can take more pitches to settle in and find a rythem.
Where the 2-3 inning shuffle pulls them from dialing in what they need to do.
Some may say preparation comes befor the game to be ready stepping on the mound....
In early years threw 14u for many,
Nothing can prepair a pitcher like throwing to a live batter with an umpire in a game.
Let them have the game!

(Agree... at older ages that tends to get learned already and come in ready to go.)

Hitting- Teams generally tend to do better with either speed or slower junk.
If its apperent early in the game hitters are on, can understand switching the pitcher.
Otherwise give pitchers the entire game.

Average game times in travel ball are very short. Especially friendlies!
Let the pitcher work through situations.
Let the pitcher work the game!

imo
Big Dog pitchers are developed by being given the opportunity to push through situations.
They get there by making it through the hitting line up more than once.

GO DEFENSE !!!

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cputman12