"Big dog pitcher" a dying breed?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
So "aces" are different than "big dogs"... I was totally misunderstanding, I thought that the one in a thousand "aces" was the "big dog" and that the argument was that they were a dying breed due to not being as relevant as before. Now I'm confused... What's the argument?
I was taking the phrase big dog to mean somebody who throws every game unless her arm was hanging by a thread.. I could be wrong though

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
So "aces" are different than "big dogs"... I was totally misunderstanding, I thought that the one in a thousand "aces" was the "big dog" and that the argument was that they were a dying breed due to not being as relevant as before. Now I'm confused... What's the argument?
Nahhhh, your not confused....
Think you nailed it!
Same thing Ace/ Big Dog

Here Begins the gray area of words.
Do each really need a specific definition? Or can they be grouped together?
Defining words... adds fun to any chat group 👍 !!!

imo
These are just fun words for describing the #1 pitcher who probably gets the majority of playing time.
That coaches choose for the toughest games and the champions play offs.
Big Dog and Ace are words we use for our number one
'Our go to pitcher'
This can be in any age bracket.

But then again....theres other peoples perspectives:):):)

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Yes there are Aces on every team. But the Big Dog is really a Unicorn. Maybe we need to define the Big Dog in the collegiate arena. How about 75% of IP? More? Play all innings throughout the WCWS?

Feb 7, 2020
Is softball evolving past the "ride the big dog pitcher until she drops"?

That is, in the past, teams relied on one pitcher throughout the season and the CWS. Does it work anymore?

Every pitcher in the CWS has been hammered at least once. Yet, only Alabama and Georgia have went to their other pitchers. Both almost got into the championship even though they lack the "big gun".

It seems to me that the batters are much, much better than they used to be--both technically and mentally. Perhaps it is time for teams to have real relief pitchers.

Ray
DD has a preference for infield but used to pitch. She's actually been getting back into it and thinking of selling herself as a DH and infielder that can step in as relief pitcher on occasion. We'll see how that works but smart I think.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Yes there are Aces on every team. But the Big Dog is really a Unicorn. Maybe we need to define the Big Dog in the collegiate arena. How about 75% of IP? More? Play all innings throughout the WCWS?
LOL
So change big dog to unicorn?
Can we change it to dragon?
Its still elusive and sounds a little more formidable!

...i get it define Big Dog.
But then must define the other jargon...

Perhaps a DFP dictionary would be a good post to start :)

Mar 8, 2016
I think this would meet the definition of Big Dog pitcher.

Here is the pitching breakdown for the local P5 top 20 team:

Last conference series of season against bottom of conference team

Friday game #1 pitched CG 1 hit shutout
Saturday game #1 pitched CG no hitter
Sunday game #1 pitched CG 1 hit shutout

Wednesday mid week game #1 pitched 1 hit shutout of low level mid-major

#2 pitcher was definitely a large step down but made the all freshman team. She did get to pitch when they went to early season "tournaments"

I am not sure why the coach would use 1 pitcher so much. I cant imagine she would have been as good at the end of the season as she could have been.

Jun 26, 2020
Very old thread. I'm hoping coaches are realizing that pitchers aren't made of steel and bungy cords. Boys have pitch counts. Don't give me that underhand is a natural motion garbage

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee