Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Register Log in

"Big dog pitcher" a dying breed?

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Is softball evolving past the "ride the big dog pitcher until she drops"?

That is, in the past, teams relied on one pitcher throughout the season and the CWS. Does it work anymore?

Every pitcher in the CWS has been hammered at least once. Yet, only Alabama and Georgia have went to their other pitchers. Both almost got into the championship even though they lack the "big gun".

It seems to me that the batters are much, much better than they used to be--both technically and mentally. Perhaps it is time for teams to have real relief pitchers.

Ray

Jun 6, 2009
Is softball evolving past the "ride the big dog pitcher until she drops"?

That is, in the past, teams relied on one pitcher throughout the season and the CWS. Does it work anymore?

Every pitcher in the CWS has been hammered at least once. Yet, only Alabama and Georgia have went to their other pitchers. Both almost got into the championship even though they lack the "big gun".

It seems to me that the batters are much, much better than they used to be--both technically and mentally. Perhaps it is time for teams to have real relief pitchers.

Ray

I have been saying this for the last few years. I think in time relief pitching will evolve

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PDM