Big 10 Votes To Cancel Fall Sports

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 26, 2020
This is why LSU tries to have one state school in their out of conference schedule. Theyd rather keep the money in state if possible bc it pretty much makes their athletic budget for the year.
Exactly. They all do it. Covid cut that ATM off with conference only play. Also playoff/bowl implications and rankings. That would be a mess!

Jun 26, 2020
The football decision seems to be being driven more by the concerns over post-COVID myocarditis. /QUOTE]

That is the 400 pound gorilla in the room. Getting exhausted during a practice and a coach say get back in there and they die. Then covid is discovered. What a problem that presents

Apr 20, 2015
The football decision seems to be being driven more by the concerns over post-COVID myocarditis. This is what is scaring the presidents and chancellors. It isn't healthy 20 year olds getting COVID. It is health 20 year olds dying of myocarditis after getting COVID.
Unfortunately we won't know that for years from now from post illness data and it may be a risk of the vaccine as well given that similar vaccines have some risks of wild type side effects like guillean Barre syndrome from the flu shot. Much more common from real flu than vaccine but still a risk.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Feb 20, 2020
The MAC should be ashamed of themselves for the mycarditis stuff. There's nothing new about it, it's treatable and occurs with a lot of viral infections, from the common cold to the flu. There are NO studies that show a link between COVID and it so far, and out of all of the Big 10 athletes tested, only five had even a slight case of this. It's easily treated and a common thing that's looked for after an athlete gets sick. Theses are academic institutions using anecdotal evidence to justify a decision, and in the process spreading even more misinformation and fear about a virus that has plenty of misinformation and fear on its own.

They needed a medical reason and they decided to use this paltry, nonsense one. Like i said before, they should be ashamed.

Jul 17, 2012
Kenmore, WA
The MAC should be ashamed of themselves for the mycarditis stuff. There's nothing new about it, it's treatable and occurs with a lot of viral infections, from the common cold to the flu. There are NO studies that show a link between COVID and it so far, and out of all of the Big 10 athletes tested, only five had even a slight case of this. It's easily treated and a common thing that's looked for after an athlete gets sick. Theses are academic institutions using anecdotal evidence to justify a decision, and in the process spreading even more misinformation and fear about a virus that has plenty of misinformation and fear on its own.

They needed a medical reason and they decided to use this paltry, nonsense one. Like i said before, they should be ashamed.
Have you actually looked for any research on this? In two seconds I found an article on the NIH website investigating the link between COVID and myocarditis. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7199677/ Like most COVID related questions there are still a ton of unknowns, but there are some pretty clear links emerging. Here is a case study on one 20 year old https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7265842/

I love watching college football, but no conference, no school, and no player should be ashamed of saying the risks are too great to play at this time.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2015
I live in a college town. Classes haven't started. Kids moved in, packed together, standing in lines to get into bars. If decision makers are really concerned about the students, go completely virtual. They want the students back so they can get their money, yet act as though they are concerned about the kid's health by using the athletes. Decisions are being made to theoretically cover their @$$.

May 17, 2012
I love watching college football, but no conference, no school, and no player should be ashamed of saying the risks are too great to play at this time.

Agreed especially since they aren't being adequately compensated. I do wonder how much the recent "organizing" by the players factors into this.

Feb 20, 2020
Have you actually looked for any research on this? In two seconds I found an article on the NIH website investigating the link between COVID and myocarditis. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7199677/ Like most COVID related questions there are still a ton of unknowns, but there are some pretty clear links emerging. Here is a case study on one 20 year old https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7265842/

You mean the study that said this: The prevalence of myocarditis among COVID-19 patients is unclear, partly because the early reports often lacked the specific diagnostic modalities to assess myocarditis. Some argued that up to 7% of COVID-19–related deaths were attributable to myocarditis.26 However, this was assumed and not based on confirmatory diagnoses of myocarditis and thus may be an overestimate

This disease is probably more deeply and intensely investigated than any i modern history. It’s had a world-wide effort for months, and as a result we know lots about it -- the idea of the "unknown" is a crutch. We know how it spreads, how it cultivates, what it attacks, what its mortality rate is, who is most susceptible to its affects. We know quite a lot about this virus, and we're studying it more and more every day. We've had 20 million positive cases and 750,000 deaths -- we have LOT of evidence regarding the disease. If there was a connection where young, otherwise healthy people were getting myocarditis on any statistically significant basis, it would have displayed itself in actual data, not anecdotes.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rathouse