Bias

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
It has been my opinion that coaches, like all people, myself included, are biased. As I have said before... We are all biased. It's just a matter of degree. For a coach to proclaim and/or assume otherwise is pure nonsense.

I recently read a very good article in this regard in which the author states the following: "Is every sports coach biased? Simple answer is Yes!"

The article is a fantastic read! https://playerdevelopmentproject.com/are-you-a-biased-coach/

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Very interesting article. Thanks for sharing. The one thing that I have found myself doing is not getting the 1 on 1 feedback from each individual player as much as I should. I always ask for input from my AC's and I am always looking for input from my players in a team setting after a game. However, the one on one setting, other than instruction on how to make a fielding effort more productive or the mental/mechanical adjustments in hitting, etc.etc. during practices, I find myself lacking in this area. That said, luckily, I don't have very many players complaining or bringing up problems since, for the most part, they are treated pretty fairly as far as PT time goes. They all know that the best 9 start the elimination games depending upon how they perform each weekend during the pool play games and they each have an opportunity every week to become a starter depending upon their performance. As long as they continue to work hard at home and develop their game skills, they will always have a place on the field on my team. I do however, have one player that has not made a practice in months and has a rec ball mentality. We offered her a spot based on her potential and she hasn't worked at all on her game even at home. That tells me, my Ac's and the other players on the team that ARE coming to practices and trying to better their skills, that she doesn't deserve to be on the field other than during pool play games. She started behind the curve in every facet of the game and hasn't developed any further due to lack of effort and time. If this is preconceived bias by everyone, including myself before the first game is played during tourney season, then so be it. If she develops and turns into one of our top players, then she will start on Sunday with the rest. But she has an awful lot of work to do not only to catch up, but surpass those that have been working their tails off all Winter long.

Nov 25, 2012
USA
It has been my opinion that coaches, like all people, myself included, are biased. As I have said before... We are all biased. It's just a matter of degree. For a coach to proclaim and/or assume otherwise is pure nonsense.

I recently read a very good article in this regard in which the author states the following: "Is every sports coach biased? Simple answer is Yes!"

The article is a fantastic read! https://playerdevelopmentproject.com/are-you-a-biased-coach/

Great article Doug and thanks for sharing. I only wish more coaches could read it and think about it for a minute. I like what YO said above and sounds like an outstanding way to fairly run a team.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28