Better to Find Out now!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Along these lines, haven't many of us been asked to allow our dds to play as a pickup knowing these circumstances that were given to these parents? I know we have. So, you say yes or no and then accept what happens. In the vast majority of cases, when given this scenario, my dd got to play a lot more than we thought. Still, we were fine with her just being there.

Jun 12, 2015
Along these lines, haven't many of us been asked to allow our dds to play as a pickup knowing these circumstances that were given to these parents? I know we have. So, you say yes or no and then accept what happens. In the vast majority of cases, when given this scenario, my dd got to play a lot more than we thought. Still, we were fine with her just being there.

True. Mine's a pitcher and we've been told when guest playing she'd probably pitch and sit, maybe play a little outfield. We go into it being OK with that (but she's a pretty killer SS so it doesn't usually happen - but we would be OK with it if we were told in advance, for sure). If we were actually team shopping it might make me a little wary though, because she wouldn't be happy to pitch and sit on her OWN team. So I could see going the way the parents did here. I just have to think there's more going on, though.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
Lots of good "Maybe.."s here. something else I was thinking was maybe she had more than one offer and decided the other team was a better fit before they put any money down.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL

DD is happy sitting in dugout which makes her a good quest player. Some players go nuts sitting.

Her Team she wants to play most the time, quest playing she is happy chearing.

She was not happy once when she was 1 of the 2 out fields, more running then she would have liked. :) got to bat a lot though.

Dec 18, 2016
Lots of good "Maybe.."s here. something else I was thinking was maybe she had more than one offer and decided the other team was a better fit before they put any money down.

Nope.... she's now going to tryouts. Her mom told another mom that she's a first baseman and that's where she plays.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dec 18, 2016
DD is happy sitting in dugout which makes her a good quest player. Some players go nuts sitting.

Her Team she wants to play most the time, quest playing she is happy chearing.

She was not happy once when she was 1 of the 2 out fields, more running then she would have liked. :) got to bat a lot though.

This girl batted allot. We batted our roster the first couple of days. I just think the parents were looking for a guarantee to play 1st and that's not something we were willing to give.

Dec 18, 2016
Something doesn't sound quite right. I know parents are crazy, but most aren't so bad that they are told ''She's not going to play that much, and when she does, it might be in LF, which is no indication of where she'll be in the fall,'' and later say, "We were disappointed she didn't play that much, and it's clear they aren't going to give her a fair shot because she played LF.''

I still wonder if something failed in the pre-tournament conversation.

We didn't tell parents where she may play. We said understand that she's a pick up for this tournament and may not play all that much but come beginning of fall season, ALL positions were open. She hit the first few days and ran for our catcher, so it's not like she didn't do anything. Just didn't play the position her mom wanted her to. The kid was happy and looking forward to fall ball.

Dec 18, 2016
But then they asked only 1 kid to play. Didn't let her play any in the spot she tried out for and she's 12. Maybe the parents aren't for your team and maybe the coach's idea of reduced playing time didn't coincide with the parents idea of reduced time.

What does asking only one kid to play have to do with anything? I agree, maybe not a good fit and I'm glad it happened sooner rather than later.... just believe the parents are choosing for the DD instead of letting her earn the spot and then decide for herself.

Jun 12, 2015
We had an experience last year with a parent who thought his daughter should play one position every game. Trust me, you're probably better off.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812