Best treatment to preserve the life of a new WHITE glove?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 6, 2018
I used Obenaufs heavy duty LP leather treatment (at the advice from here) and it left the glove so greasy that DD was embarrassed for a few weeks before any ball she touched was not all slick and greasy. Also, darkened and dulled the glove coloring.

It is an all white Rawlings HOH glove so looking for any advice. Would like to preserve the more white look to it as that is the DD's preference.

I have used simple hand lotions in the past and while it ultimately got an extra year out of a glove it was something that had to be repeated almost every 6 months in the process.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Sorry if the advice came from me........I've used Obenauf's many many times and it's never left a glove feeling greasy, slick, or sticky. But I always use it very sparingly and wipe off any excess, less is more!

If Obenauf's won't seal and preserve the white color, I don't know what will? I think the only way to keep a white glove white is to shelve it and play with a tan glove ;).

Feb 26, 2018
My DD has the white (used to be white) Rawlings Liberty Advanced and after the first 2 months gave up on trying to keep it clean. Doesn't help she's always the one diving for balls and takes some sort of weird pride in being the dirtiest one at the end of practice...

Jun 6, 2018
Yeah the obenaufs turned it more dark grey, which was okay, but it was very very greasy. i guess i have been used to more oily/lotion type applications that go on and get sucked right in. Were as the obenaufs is like a hard wax that got applied and like coated it rather than getting sucked in like the others.

Jul 25, 2016
I've only ever used Obenaufs on the inside of a glove, as a sweat barrier. For the outside I use compressed air and Lexol.

Jun 6, 2018
I ended up using Nokona and it made it slightly greyish, which was okay with DD. I know I talked to a few people and they said the nice thing on Nokona is that if you get a dirty area you can use it to work into that area to lift the dirt. I noticed it was not as greasy as the Obenauf's but I also wiped down the glove after applying the Nokona. I got both my DD's the same glove so I might use the Obenauf's on the other and wipe it down after applying it this time.

Feb 10, 2016
Illinois
We had a white and black Liberty and no matter what we did, it dulls and changes. Not much you can do, other than talk your coach into playing on nothing but turf :)

Nov 18, 2015
I used Obenaufs heavy duty LP leather treatment (at the advice from here) and it left the glove so greasy that DD was embarrassed for a few weeks before any ball she touched was not all slick and greasy. Also, darkened and dulled the glove coloring.

It is an all white Rawlings HOH glove so looking for any advice. Would like to preserve the more white look to it as that is the DD's preference...
How much did you use?

I'm about to use (as soon as I order it!) the same product to seal the inside of a Vinci catchers mitt and the white and navy Liberty Advanced catchers mitt. Liberty is for me to use, but it's still starting to get a little "tan" in the pocket. I like the white leather, but it was the navy blue webbing with red lacing (and nice price) that helped me pull the trigger on that one.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
re.todd22