Best Timing Drills

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 21, 2017
PA
I haven't used the 3 plate drill, but I like how you keep the same throwing speed and just change the hitters position.

Yep, that's why I like it, too. Not that it really matters, but I start my hitters in the middle, then rotate to the front, then all the way back. We normally do two swings at each plate. I have the hitter rotate through twice, then we switch hitters. We're usually doing this during our stations/timed hitting, so I'll have two girls at this station, rotating after 6 swings until time is up.

Other times we'll make it a competition, and if you don't make solid contact before your 6 swings is up, you're out of the cage and the other girl rotates in.

Oct 2, 2017
Yep, that's why I like it, too. Not that it really matters, but I start my hitters in the middle, then rotate to the front, then all the way back. We normally do two swings at each plate. I have the hitter rotate through twice, then we switch hitters. We're usually doing this during our stations/timed hitting, so I'll have two girls at this station, rotating after 6 swings until time is up.

Other times we'll make it a competition, and if you don't make solid contact before your 6 swings is up, you're out of the cage and the other girl rotates in.

I think this will help my DD. Are you just front tossing or using a machine?

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
Most kids don't begin their stride until the ball is halfway and they think it's a strike.

Make sure you randomly hold the ball in the cage, and make sure everyone is moving when you make your move to throw the ball.

Nov 18, 2015
At slower speeds, the multi-plate drill is difficult with a machine. And change in distance of more than a foot or so front or back will be changing the height of the pitch.

This was with the machine probably set to around 35-40. May not be as much as an issue at higher speeds.

Jun 8, 2016
Been wanting to get a front toss protection screen, so I don't get drilled. This just gives me the excuse :D
Marcela hit me when she was 6 or 7, I bought one the next day. Good investment. The one I bought you have to assemble but it only takes a minute and it has held up well for over 3 years now.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2017
Marcela hit me when she was 6 or 7, I bought one the next day. Good investment. The one I bought you have to assemble but it only takes a minute and it has held up well for over 3 years now.
I was looking at this. Don't have a bunch of money to spend.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wes_K