Best time to tell assistant you don’t need him anymore

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 7, 2013
I would tell him after all-stars. If you do it now, the whole all-star season might be incredibly uncomfortable for you and your DD (i.e. he might retaliate by not playing your kid, undermining your coaching advice, etc.). In addition, maybe his DD improves after all-stars and makes your cut for Fall? If he asks you about the fall tryouts, tell him you are waiting until after all-stars to conduct tryouts, working out the details for fall schedule, etc.

Feb 3, 2011
Sticky wicket.....you're going to have to go with what feels right. My preference would be a direct convo as soon as it's feasible to let him know you're starting a new team in the fall with a new staff. It's going to sting - it's supposed to - but will be worse the later you wait. If he wants to have his DD try out for your team, of course you welcome her, even if you already know their family is no longer a fit for your program.

Feb 21, 2017
Seriously, I am confused like some others. Is he so bad so the daughter suffers? Is she so bad that you already know she has no shot? You already know you have more talent coming? Is it an attitude problem and they need to be shown the door?

I think we need more info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 12, 2015
Seriously, I am confused like some others. Is he so bad so the daughter suffers? Is she so bad that you already know she has no shot? You already know you have more talent coming? Is it an attitude problem and they need to be shown the door?

I think we need more info.

I'm curious too. Where I live there are so many teams, assuming the number and quality of players you'll get at tryouts could be a dangerous thing if you're not one of the big 3 names.

Jul 14, 2017
Definitely a sticky situation.... I always think upfront and honest is best in the long run although toughest at the time. Personally, I’d have this conversation before All Stars and give him the choice to fire you as his assistant if he wanted.