Best softball story

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
Why, did you become the stuff of legends?
Cliff Notes Version:
-DD was having a rough day at SS, back on her heels the whole game.
-Eventually after an error I yelled out from behind LF fence to get off your heels.
-Since she a) was 9 b) had just made an error and c) was already mad at herself, this made her cry (I am an idiot)
-Young lady umpire at this point turns around and stares at me (she was correct to do this since I was an idiot)
-Since I am mad I yell to her "What are you looking at, I am not that good looking"
-Umpire then kicks me out, but I am already 2 feet from the parking lot so I walk 2 feet and ask if that is ok?
-She then kicks me out of the complex.
-I proceed to chuck my water at the fence but miss and it goes onto the field.
-As I am walking back to my hotel (which was about 7 miles away..that was quite a walk) cop stops me and tells me they called the cops on me for trying to hit the lady with a water bottle (note this was a gallon water bottle, I was behind the fence
and the umpire was standing at SS
-Eventually I was let go but couldn't go to any more games

Moral to the story, I was an idiot.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Cliff Notes Version:
-DD was having a rough day at SS, back on her heels the whole game.
-Eventually after an error I yelled out from behind LF fence to get off your heels.
-Since she a) was 10 b) had just made an error and c) was already mad at herself, this made her cry (I am an idiot)
-Young lady umpire at this point turns around and stares at me (she was correct to do this since I was an idiot)
-Since I am mad I yell to her "What are you looking at, I am not that good looking"
-Umpire then kicks me out, but I am already 2 feet from the parking lot so I walk 2 feet and ask if that is ok?
-She then kicks me out of the complex.
-I proceed to chuck my water at the fence but miss and it goes onto the field.
-As I am walking back to my hotel (which was about 7 miles away..that was quite a walk) cop stops me and tells me they called the cops on me for trying to hit the lady with a water bottle (note this was a gallon water bottle, I was behind the fence
and the umpire was standing at SS
-Eventually I was let go but couldn't go to any more games

Moral to the story, I was an idiot.
I usually frown on people getting ejected, but if you're going to go, go big!! Love the multiple "idiot" parts, own it!

Jun 8, 2016
I usually frown on people getting ejected, but if you're going to go, go big!! Love the multiple "idiot" parts, own it!
It wasn't my proudest moment. I've gotten kicked out of games in which I played ( I got kicked out of an intramural basketball game in college when a "pass" I threw just happened to hit the ref in the butt) but doing what I did in front of my kids was just dumb.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
It wasn't my proudest moment. I've gotten kicked out of games in which I played ( I got kicked out of an intramural basketball game in college when a "pass" I through just happened to hit the ref in the butt) but doing what I did in front of my kids was just dumb.
Hey it happens, I'm actually surprised I haven't been kicked out of a ton of HS games, the umpiring in our conference is a complete joke! BUT........don't have to deal with that anymore.

Where I draw the line, Anna's same 12U team, we were playing at Rocky River in Charlotte, we were in between fields warming up. There was a game in progress right beside where we were warming up, both head coaches got into a knock down drag out fist fight right on top of 3rd base, so the girls on those two teams, and the two teams warming up got to see it, it was terrible! One of those coaches had a reputation for being a loud hot head, he probably started it! Hey I'm all for doing what you've got to do, but this can NEVER happen in front of kids, plenty of other areas to "work" it out!

Seeing girls crying because of a couple of DA's, not cool.

Jun 8, 2016
Hey it happens, I'm actually surprised I haven't been kicked out of a ton of HS games, the umpiring in our conference is a complete joke! BUT........don't have to deal with that anymore.

Where I draw the line, Anna's same 12U team, we were playing at Rocky River in Charlotte, we were in between fields warming up. There was a game in progress right beside where we were warming up, both head coaches got into a knock down drag out fist fight right on top of 3rd base, so the girls on those two teams, and the two teams warming up got to see it, it was terrible! One of those coaches had a reputation for being a loud hot head, he probably started it! Hey I'm all for doing what you've got to do, but this can NEVER happen in front of kids, plenty of other areas to "work" it out!

Seeing girls crying because of a couple of DA's, not cool.
The umpire in my case did nothing wrong (other than maybe thinking I was trying to hit her with the water bottle..I would have had to be Roberto Clemente) and I never get upset at umpires/refs for bad calls now that I am a parent. My ire is usually focused on my DD (unfortunately), which is one of the main reasons I sit where I do since I can stew quietly with nobody around. In this case for whatever reason I decided to open my mouth and it snowballed from there. I have a temper, my college newspaper in an article on the upcoming baseball season, described me as "fiery Peter Attar"...:oops:

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2019
One of my daughters teammates is among the most competitive, aggressive people I have ever been around in my life. Once during a scrimmage at practice, with the coach pitching and her on first base, the coach gets the ball back and starts talking to explain something, while facing third base, standing just outside the circle, since he was not in the circle as far as she is concerned it is still a live ball, so she takes off for second. She pointed out that he was not inside the circle, and that putting his hands up in the air to "call time" was not valid because after all he is the pitcher, NOT the umpire and you certainly can not be both. At the time she was 8 playing in 10u

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
re.todd22