Best softball story

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
What is your best softball story? What is agood story that captures the true flavor of being Parent/Coach/Player in the Softball Universe?

Mine: I'm standing next to a Pitcher's Daddy. The pitcher throws one over the middle of the plate. The batter hits a line drive rocket off the right field fence. The Daddy says, "If the RF had been taught how to drop step, she would have gotten it."

Jun 8, 2016
What is your best softball story? What is agood story that captures the true flavor of being Parent/Coach/Player in the Softball Universe?

Mine: I'm standing next to a Pitcher's Daddy. The pitcher throws one over the middle of the plate. The batter hits a line drive rocket off the right field fence. The Daddy says, "If the RF had been taught how to drop step, she would have gotten it."
Moral to that story is don't stand next morons during a ballgame and from my (albeit somewhat limited in terms years watching my kids play) experience that pretty much means avoid everybody.. :LOL:

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
My favorite story from 10u. Team was a mix of country and city kids. This Girl is 9 years old and she comes up to me “Coach, I’m having a very good day, we got 50 new chickens today”
“That’s a lot of chickens, I never saw a coop on your property where are you keeping them?”
“At my Grandpas Farm’ and we got 3 pigs one
for each of us (3 sisters) we will raise them and then we’re gonna eat them. Want to hear their names?”
“Sweetheart I don’t think you are supposed to name them if you’re going to eat them”
“No it’s OK with these names. We named
them Tasty, Juicy, and Delicious. “

of all the games and tourneys we played, all the practices, hitting and pitching sessions. It’s things like this that will stick.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan

My DD was called up to varsity for a tourney in 9th grade. Playing right, batter hits a long drive to the gap, my dd makes a great drop, takes a great route, dives full extension, and the ball just glances off her glove. Ump later said it was almost the best catch he had ever seen.

Pitchers mom yells out “that hit her glove it’s an error not a hit”

Jun 8, 2016
My DD was called up to varsity for a tourney in 9th grade. Playing right, batter hits a long drive to the gap, my dd makes a great drop, takes a great route, dives full extension, and the ball just glances off her glove. Ump later said it was almost the best catch he had ever seen.

Pitchers mom yells out “that hit her glove it’s an error not a hit”
Too close to pitcher's Mom, see Post #2 (wonder how many times am I going to be able refer back to that post in thread)

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
I mentioned the other day about taking a 12U church / rec team and winning an ASA World Series.......well the CF on this team was a cute little girl named Kaitlyn, she could absolutely fly!! There was no catcher around in that age group that was going to throw her out unless she tripped, and then I'm still not sure?

This girl couldn't get a straight up swinging hit to save her or her families life, she could NOT hit! The team we played in the championship on Sunday, we had already played the day before on Saturday, She went 4 for 4 and scored all four times! She's right handed and we turned her around to slap and slap bunt.

In Sunday's championship game, she's already 2 for 2, her third AB the 3B is literally 10 feet from home plate, I'm coaching 1B and this other team is in the 1B dugout, I'm less than 20 feet from the other HC who's sitting on a bucket. She drag bunts a ball that the 3B had to dive to her left, she makes a nice play and throws a strike and my girl beats it by a step.

This HC loses his mind, now he's probably 10 feet from me, he's CUSSING & SCREAMING could someone effing get this GD girl out, he somehow kicks his bucket and gets his foot stuck from the wire handle and he falls down, he finally gets his foot out and throws the bucket in right field! I don't know if I've ever laughed so hard on a ball field before, he cussed me, flipped me off and went inside and sit on the bench, the madder he got the more I poured it on and pissed him off!

When she got her 4th hit there was just one LOUD cuss word that came from the dugout! This team had matching everything, including a wrapped dually & trailer, we looked like the Bad News Bears. After that incident, in between innings I told my girls to put their foot on this team's throat and not let up!! We sent them home sad, I felt sorry for those girls having to deal with their idiot HC!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802