Best softball story

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
:) The plane ride home from the College World Series!
It was a Late Night Flight...
With all of our partying NO ONE on the flight got any sleep.
Can still remember other people looking at us, not really pissed off cuz we were celebrating, but rather giving in to our joy! ;)

May 20, 2016
Was coaching 12U LL. Our team were monsters, usually up by 9 by the end of the fist inning. Didn't have a game within 10 runs the whole year.

Was a mix up with umps and didn't have one for a game so i called the game. As usual we were up by a bunch after our first at bat, playing a home game. So i decided to squeeze our pitchers (my dd being one of them) and give the opposing pitcher some slack. Unless we forfeited there was no way we could lose the game anyway.

Home crowd, people who's kids i've coached for years, start getting on me. I ignored it for an inning or so. Next inning they start freaking out and saying inappropriate things. I called time and walked over to the stands and told them they were embarrassing their kids and the town. Walked back over and went back to calling the game. Kept them at bay for one, maybe two pitches. They were right back at it.

Needless to say i never volunteered to ump again after that day.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Last TB tourney of DD's career at 2019 TCS Atlanta, and the summer for the most part has been unsuccessful so far. We are missing 3 seniors on this trip that included our other catcher. We looked horrible in all the pool games, and lost our first bracket game. Down to loser's bracket. This will be quick. They played the next game and won, which means we have the 8am game the next morning. I didn't check out of the hotel since we should have plenty of time to shower up before we headed to the airport right?

These are 7 inning no time limit games. First game of the morning, and the umpire starts the game early. Before 8am, we scored 7 runs and went on to run rule the opponent. Wow! They had a little break and started the next game. They won that game too! My DD is physically and mentally done as she is catching all the games. One more win and they qualify for the final 16 team Championship Bracket. I realized that I was gonna have to phone check out at the hotel, and now I am worried that we will miss our flight. If we win, we will definitely miss it. Opposing team scores 4 in the first inning but we buckle down the rest of the game but just couldn't get enough runs across the plate. We lose 5-1. DD had to catch 3 games in a row that day, and her legs were jello. Finishing 17th out of the 80 teams in the tourney was a great way to finish her TB career especially against all the obstacles. Allergies kicked in after that game.

We were able to shower in a teammate's hotel room, and our flight was delayed due to bad weather. It all worked out.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
Cliff Notes Version:
-DD was having a rough day at SS, back on her heels the whole game.
-Eventually after an error I yelled out from behind LF fence to get off your heels.
-Since she a) was 9 b) had just made an error and c) was already mad at herself, this made her cry (I am an idiot)
-Young lady umpire at this point turns around and stares at me (she was correct to do this since I was an idiot)
-Since I am mad I yell to her "What are you looking at, I am not that good looking"
-Umpire then kicks me out, but I am already 2 feet from the parking lot so I walk 2 feet and ask if that is ok?
-She then kicks me out of the complex.
-I proceed to chuck my water at the fence but miss and it goes onto the field.
-As I am walking back to my hotel (which was about 7 miles away..that was quite a walk) cop stops me and tells me they called the cops on me for trying to hit the lady with a water bottle (note this was a gallon water bottle, I was behind the fence
and the umpire was standing at SS
-Eventually I was let go but couldn't go to any more games

Moral to the story, I was an idiot.
so funny ;) . Usually when they are on their heels, they are bending at the knees then the waist. If you bend from the top down, waist then knees, you will be on the balls of the feet.

Oct 23, 2013
Chicagoland
DD's 15U tryouts - Trying to make jump from 'B' to 'A' level.

Super reach type Org had really early tryouts and I managed to get DD to go as a "Warm-Up" to prepare for other tryouts.

She loved tryout and was like "I really want to make the team".
Signed Her up for another tryout a few days later and on car ride over I was like "All you got to do I jack one over the fence and you'll make the team".

Seeing as she is smaller slapper type who I recently switched to left side, she gave me a funny look like I was crazy. Plus, she had never ever put one over.

Well, during front toss she managed to put a few over and like I said that coach was over offering spot before her bat was cool...

Turns out it was the older 16U team which we knew nothing about. After some research she accepted and was one of the youngest on team.

Super hard year for her which almost ended her softball career. I think it was a good choice and she learned a lot of lessons about herself and softball.

Ended up at a new Org for the last 3 years and is headed for mid-major D1 in the summer...

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
My 12 year old DD, a slapper, was 22 for 23 in a tournament. In the championship, the opposing coach started kicking the dirt and yelling “Can’t anyone get her out”? DD’s 8 year old cousin yells at him “Do you want some cheese with that whine”? The fans went crazy.

May 15, 2011
In hit sharp single up the middle to drive in a run, but wait. The short stop lays out to snag the ball and throws me out from his knees, by a step. Inning over, no rbi. When I get to the digout, my friend Kevin says, "Well at least it took a professional play to get you."

Ken Caminiti was playing short that night at Twin Creeks in Sunnyvale, Ca. after his rookie season in the bigs. So that was memorable but we were playing modified fastpitch and I was the pitcher. T.C. had radar guns at one time so I knew my best "fastball" was maybe 51 mph on a good day. Armed with that and a knuckle change I had to pitch to Ken some of his minor league buddies and the rest.

Caminiti hit one out and got a couple other hits off me. His last time up I tried to throw one by him, which turned out to be a mistake. He hit a one hop smash off my second baseman's chest. The ball ricocheted to me and I retired my first and only major leaguer. My second baseman's night was done.

I was oblivoius to the fact I could have died that night. Pitching from 46 feet, after a plant and step forward with my pivot foot, I was maybe 39 feet from home when that smash whizzed by be. No mask, just a glove for protection.

Injury never crossed my mind until later. I was just a dude having fun playing ball.

Top_Notch

Screwball
Dec 18, 2014
Since there are so many 8U travel ball stories. My daughter joined an 8U travel team. The team was pretty good and everyone on that team still plays travel today, going into 16U. Obviously, not a lot of 8U tournaments (mostly played 10UC), but we managed to find one a state over. While most teams were lucky to be able to make a throw from third to first, we had this girl who had a slingshot of an arm. Ball hit to her at third and she fields it, and proceeds to airmail firstbase...and the dugout...and launches this ball into the opposing field. Now the coaches weren't too happy, but I was like, wow, did you see that throw!!! Needless to say, we rolled that tournament (one of many for that group). I talked to some friendly people in the concessions line and all they would say to me is that they didn't want to play our team. LoL

May 1, 2018
I have a girl on my team (12u) a bigger, taller girl 5'9ish, with a lot of power. Runner on first that is super fast in front of her. I give her the Show bunt and take sign and she looks at me like I just lost my mind. So I give it again. She steps into the box, kinda shakes her head like what am I doing, and lays down a bunt. Like a perfect bunt.....too bad that's not what I called. Runner on 1 moves to 3 and batter is safe. I am dumbfounded.
Our 1st base coach was like and me and third were laughing our asses off cause it worked, but everyone including the other coaches were like "yeah you missed the signal". Luckily no one thought she was going to bunt including me so it worked.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28