Best softball story

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 22, 2015
Illinois
I helped coach DD’s team up till 12u. At that time my youngest boy was 3 and we were working on potty training. We were at an out of town tourament, I’m in the dug out and one of the girls says “ uhhh hey coach” and points at my little guy. Pants around his ankles there he stands in the middle of all the fields taking a whizz on a tree lol.

My favorite softball story with DD was 8th grade state championship tournament. We were playing for 3rd place and down by 2 in the 6th inning. Runner on first and she’s up to bat. First pitch is a bunt foul. Second pitch is a slap foul. Third pitch was a bomb over the right center wall. Her first ever otf homerun. Tied the game and we went on to win. She didn’t even know it was over the fence until she made it to third base so she was full steam ahead lol.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Had a Border Collie that was with someone in the other dugout get loose on the field during a game, he went after a ground ball hit through the infield. You ever seen a dog smile before?

Whoever had the dog in the dugout (owner?) and 4 or 5 kids were chasing him, he wasn’t having any part of it, he was having too much fun! It was pretty funny, he knew the entire world was watching him!

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
I just asked Anna if she had a favorite softball story, she said “hello.........winning a State Championship!!” :rolleyes: Pretty hard to argue with that, other than we should have won two!:mad:

Jan 9, 2018
I was coaching a Majors (12U) Little League game. 2 outs, runner on 2B and we are down by 1 run. This particular girl was a fast runner that during the regular season I had steal often. Being an All Star game facing a good catcher,in this situation, I would have never given her the steal sign. She takes off on her own and slides into third. The catcher throws the ball into left field. I yell "get up and run". she decides to run back to 2B. All I could do is laugh and shake my head. After the game was over I asked why she went back to 2nd and she told me when she got to 3rd she realized I hadn't give her the steal sign she thought that I meant for her to go back. She did end up scoring to tie the game but we lost anyway.

Oct 26, 2019
2 years ago I coached a 8U Rec Coach pitch team. One of the girls on the team was playing third base and not paying attention to the batter, but instead paying attention to her parents who were coaching her from 10 feet away leaning over the third base fence. Wouldn't you know it a groundball comes her way. This thing was the weakest grounder you could have and it rolled very slowly into her foot. I mean - if it had rolled slower - it wouldn’t have even gotten to her. When it hit her for she went down like a ton of bricks crying and laying helplessly on the infield dirt.

I started to walk out to her to tell her she was fine when both her parents, both grandparents, and the family dog come sprinting past me to her rescue. They CARRY her off the field, giver her a bag of ice and an ice cream and she is sitting in the dugout petting the dog.

An inning of this goes by and her at bat comes up and now she is miraculously healed and ready to hit. She hits a groundball right at the first baseman who fields it and touches first. She’s about halfway to first when she realizes she is out and then BOOM - right back to the ground crying about the foot. Next thing I know both parents, both grandparents, and the dog are back on the field again to carry her off.

That’s only one of the many strange things that happened in my one Rec season.

Sep 21, 2017
PA
A fun one...

We were a young coaching staff full of collegiate baseball/basketball/softball players, so sarcasm and messing with people was 2nd nature for us. Nothing mean, just lots of fun.

We were coaching HS ball in Illinois, playing in a big tournament in KY for the weekend. We had brought along a few younger girls for extra players. Pre-game was getting ready to start and we called "Suzie" over to us in LF. This was "Suzie's" first weekend tournament. "Hey "Suzie" we need you to go ask the HP umpire for the key to the batters boxes so we can get pre-game started." "OK COACH!" she says, so excited to help out...

HP umpire just puts his arm around "Suzie" turns her around to face us with a huge smile on his face and just starts shaking his head. We let "Suzie" be free from all post-game duties (carrying equipment) after that one.

Over the years, we had girls SCRAMBLING to find the buckets of curveballs, left handed bats...you name it. We all had a ton of fun those years, girls included. They got us pretty good, too. Fortunately, we also had a lot of success.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Over the years, we had girls SCRAMBLING to find the buckets of curveballs, left handed bats...you name it. We all had a ton of fun those years, girls included. They got us pretty good, too. Fortunately, we also had a lot of success.

At the school where my wife taught, the teachers would pick out one of the "nice" kids and ask her/him to go get the striped paint from Mr. X. Mr. X would then say, "Oh, I gave the striped paint to Ms. Y, your better go ask her" and so on and so on.

Sep 21, 2017
PA
At the school where my wife taught, the teachers would pick out one of the "nice" kids and ask her/him to go get the striped paint from Mr. X. Mr. X would then say, "Oh, I gave the striped paint to Ms. Y, your better go ask her" and so on and so on.

Love it!

In a middle school PE class one day, I told a girl who was STRUGGLING rolling the rubber bowling ball that she had a LH ball and needed to go ask the other PE teacher for a RH one. She was one of my buddies kids, so it made it even better.

Jun 8, 2016
It helped me relax a ton when my DD got on a team where she wasn't the best (non pitcher) player. She was the oldest, had the best arm, the best glove, the biggest bat. I don't think she felt it, but I felt like she needed to always be her absolute best to carry the team, and it made it stressful to watch, and I put undue pressure on her. I only remember yelling at her from the stands on one occasion, but I'm embarrassed by it. She's on a team now where there are better players. She's near the top (when her head isn't up her butt), but not a standout. I find it much easier to watch her now that she is more of a role player.
My DD is a late year birthday and already playing up a year 🤷‍♂️ . From what I have seen, despite her poor game in the original story, there are only a few 08 teams in the state where she might not be the best SS and maybe a half dozen where she would only be average in terms of hitting.

Anyway she shouldn't have to find a new team because her Dad is a head case ;)

Jan 28, 2017
Coaching 10U and have a kid on the team that has an awesome family. I asked the mom where here husband went. He sits in the outfield and says I have Sports Turrets. LOL.

He played minor league ball and the entire family plays at least minor league ball. Two uncles that played MLB and maybe more in the family. 4 years later and I have seen him in the stands once. That day we won the MS conference championship 3-2 in the bottom of the last inning. His wife dropped the phone videoing the last play and you can see her going crazy and him packing the chairs shaking his head. Great family!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802