Best pitching velocity drills?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 11, 2019
I have questions as well. My dd is 13 pitching on a 14u b team. She is very consistent and hits her spots. But she is slow. Maybe 48-50. I will definetly be working on long toss but wonder about leg drive and stride length. Can you good people suggest some leg drive drills to help.

Nov 18, 2013
“One of the most notable studies was conducted by The Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research. This studywas conducted by Chicago White Sox sports science consultant Coop DeRenne and a team of experts. They gathered a sample size of high school and university pitchers and split them into three groups.”

team of experts? Not scientific?

It’s scientific for MLB and grown men. It doesn’t tell us much about 11 yo girls.

I think it was you who mentioned body weight exercises. I agree that’s a good idea at 11. So few girls have the proper mechanics down I’d be hesitant to suggest weighted balls due to injury risk.

Oct 26, 2019
It’s scientific for MLB and grown men. It doesn’t tell us much about 11 yo girls.

I think it was you who mentioned body weight exercises. I agree that’s a good idea at 11. So few girls have the proper mechanics down I’d be hesitant to suggest weighted balls due to injury risk.
You are correct - somewhere previous I also said I wouldn’t use them unless mechanics are solid and the girl is physically matured. Probably late high school and/or college. Even then I would probably only go an ounce or 2 over or under.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
I have questions as well. My dd is 13 pitching on a 14u b team. She is very consistent and hits her spots. But she is slow. Maybe 48-50. I will definetly be working on long toss but wonder about leg drive and stride length. Can you good people suggest some leg drive drills to help.
Go to the pitching forum and look through the Drive Mechanics thread, there is a lot of information there including some drills.

Mar 28, 2014
Yeah that's not what I said. Those aren't real scientific research papers.

They are out there. They have been posted in these forums and they are still available via google.

Good luck on your journey.
OK I found this study that completely contradicts what you are saying. Care to link these peer reviewed studies that you are using as evidence?

Results: A total of 4119 article titles were retrieved, of which 156 were selected for abstract review. After manual removal of duplicates, 128 abstracts were reviewed. Of these, 17 met the inclusion criteria, and the full text was obtained. After full-text review, 7 additional articles were excluded, leaving 10 articles that met inclusion criteria and were included for analysis.

Conclusion: Weighted-implement training increased pitching velocity in the majority of the included studies.

Oct 26, 2019
OK I found this study that completely contradicts what you are saying. Care to link these peer reviewed studies that you are using as evidence?

Results: A total of 4119 article titles were retrieved, of which 156 were selected for abstract review. After manual removal of duplicates, 128 abstracts were reviewed. Of these, 17 met the inclusion criteria, and the full text was obtained. After full-text review, 7 additional articles were excluded, leaving 10 articles that met inclusion criteria and were included for analysis.

Conclusion: Weighted-implement training increased pitching velocity in the majority of the included studies.

Thanks @texasheat - I was starting to think I might be crazy. Weighted balls are just overload and underload training. That type of training has been proven to increase performance in just about every modality. Sprinters pulling sleds and running hills is overload and underload training.

Jul 31, 2019
Well just putting this out there daughter just turned 11 now pitching with the 12 inch ball speeds have dropped just throwing the bigger ball as expected. Her coach hopes she can be close to 50 by next spring just wondering if that's a long shot or do any of you dads pitchers have any good drills that work for you guys thanks. Also our season is over so onto fall and winter training no games until spring normally start March or April depending on weather.
What was she at at 10U with 11" ball from 35'?

Jul 31, 2019
at a younger age, overloading can be somewhat dangerous if mechanics are not solid, and/or they are not done with proper intent. 44-50 is the average for 12U travel. your daughter is not even 11 yet correct?

Here are some simple thought on getting stronger at a younger age:

Long toss - dont throw to a catcher per se. You dont want them focussing on throwing strikes. Instead, have them throw high and long, letting the arm fully release. Example, if you're at an indoor with 30' ceilings, its ok to hit 15' up the net.

Start at her throwing distance and pitch or walk through 5 times

Back up 10 feet and repeat

Back up 10 feet and repeat (until she can no longer get the ball to you without bouncing it)

Then have her move back in 10 feet and do 3

Move in 10' again and do 3....

When she gets back to her pitching distance, throw 5 fastballs to a catcher and take a break

For adding strength:

Grip strength and roll-ups (forearms, shoulders, wrist) will go along way

Strengthen her decelerator muscles using J-bands

You can never do enough core work

Do some fun things for explosion like frog jumps. Its important to get her loading though her hip hinge into her butt and big muscles.

Underloading (pitch using an 11" ball, and baseball) - this will help develop the arm speed

Aug 1, 2019
Ok great information will try involving some of those long toss ideas and maybe core strengthen movements. Speed was 46-49 at 10u. We just jumped to 12u for fall ball played 20 games with today being last tournament of the year she is still on the smaller side of other 2 pitchers so maybe with growth and some time. She was a about 72% strike ratio for fall ball so distance didn't really affect accuracy but speed yes .

Jul 31, 2019
Ok great information will try involving some of those long toss ideas and maybe core strengthen movements. Speed was 46-49 at 10u. We just jumped to 12u for fall ball played 20 games with today being last tournament of the year she is still on the smaller side of other 2 pitchers so maybe with growth and some time. She was a about 72% strike ratio for fall ball so distance didn't really affect accuracy but speed yes .

I usually see around a 4 mph drop when they make the switch, then by Spring they have gained most if not all of it back with growing and natural strength increases.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802