Best pitching velocity drills?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 1, 2019
yeah that's a good philosophy strength and speed can only help with time growing into her body. Again she is the smallest pitcher on the team which goes hand-in-hand with speed and strength. Yes long toss with intent will be big positive this offseason. Thanks for all the info

May 17, 2012
Well just putting this out there daughter just turned 11 now pitching with the 12 inch ball speeds have dropped just throwing the bigger ball as expected. Her coach hopes she can be close to 50 by next spring just wondering if that's a long shot or do any of you dads pitchers have any good drills that work for you guys thanks. Also our season is over so onto fall and winter training no games until spring normally start March or April depending on weather.

Long toss. Forget everything else (weights, heavy balls, "X" drill, voodoo dolls, etc.). In the end it will be long toss. Focus.

Oct 26, 2019
Long toss. Forget everything else (weights, heavy balls, "X" drill, voodoo dolls, etc.). In the end it will be long toss. Focus.
Are you saying lifting weights and weighted balls don’t add velocity? There are quite a few guys in the World Series throwing consistent triple digits who would argue otherwise. The three things - long toss, weighted balls, and lifting weights have in common is intent (which is why all 3 have proven to be effective). Long toss in and of itself will not add velocity without intent. You could add velocity throwing 5 feet into a net if you do it consistently with high intent.

Oct 9, 2018
Texas
Am I wrong to suggest, that at this age group (young 11 year old) that the best gains for most pitchers would not be coming from a focus on mechanics ?

Oct 26, 2019

I can google and come up with hundreds of articles that say they DO work - like the study mentioned in the above link. Overload and underload training works in just about every application there is. Weighted balls and lighter balls are no different. The Atlanta braves and Nolan Ryan were famous for throwing footballs in the 90s - it’s just another version of an overload implement.

Now with that said I would never advocate a player who is not fully mature or who has less than ideal mechanics use a weighted ball anymore than I would recommend a kid lift heavy weights without proper form and physical development.

Oct 26, 2019
Am I wrong to suggest, that at this age group (young 11 year old) that the best gains for most pitchers would not be coming from a focus on mechanics ?
If there are mechanical inefficiencies then improving those inefficiencies should definitely have an impact on velocity. It is tough to judge what increases velocity in 11-year-olds because they are physically maturing every day and that in itself adds velocity. There is no one magic pill for velocity was my original posts intent.

May 17, 2012

I can google and come up with hundreds of articles that say they DO work

Yeah that's not what I said. Those aren't real scientific research papers.

They are out there. They have been posted in these forums and they are still available via google.

Good luck on your journey.

Oct 26, 2019
“One of the most notable studies was conducted by The Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research. This studywas conducted by Chicago White Sox sports science consultant Coop DeRenne and a team of experts. They gathered a sample size of high school and university pitchers and split them into three groups.”

team of experts? Not scientific?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28