Best "Phrases" for teaching good hitting?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

FJRGerry

Abby's Dad
Jan 23, 2009
Collegeville, PA
We all know (I hope) "squish the bug" isn't one of them - although I admit to using it in the past - but what are some good phrases for teaching hitting?

If you can offer one or two with a BRIEF "common man" description I would be very grateful!

A couple I use are "keep a still head through the swing" and "chin down" both with the intent of aiding in keeping eyes on the ball during the swing.

Gerry

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
"Get to your point of contact".

We model where a good point of contact would be for a batter and what the body posture would be if they made perfect contact. We backward chain it to the launch position. Hopefully many of my hitters will- "get to the point of contact."

Jun 6, 2009
"You should have went to the restroom before it was your turn in the lineup."

This can apply from 10U-18G...................:D

Sorry.....Carry on.

May 12, 2008
Rather than chin down, I like deltoid into the chin at launch. Ken, yeah, it's all about how am I going to get this dang barrel around. The barrel IS the working point. Howser, yeah I like backward chaining too. And who could argue with Calgofo's point? :)

But all these cues, well, not Calgofo's, but just about any other cue can be interpreted in numerous ways. For me, it's all about understanding cause, effect and the end goal. Cues, drills etc are easy after that. I guess keep the hinge angle would be one you might hear me use.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
One other is "good things happen when you swing the bat." Amazing how many kids forget that part and just stand there waiting for something to happen.

May 17, 2008
Michigan
One thing my coach tells me is to "see contact." Many, myself included, don't always keep their eyes on the ball long enough to see contact before looking out. Another one is "swing through the ball." In other words, "full extension."

Lori

Nov 1, 2008
"You should have went to the restroom before it was your turn in the lineup."

This can apply from 10U-18G...................:D

Sorry.....Carry on.

hahahaha my dd is the world's worst! we sit around for 2 hours waiting for a game and as soon as it's her turn to bat or pitch she's always gotta use the restroom lol

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28