Best overhand throwing basic instructions

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 2, 2019
Learning to throw from different arms slots is a good skill, but building solid overhand throwing mechanics first is critical.
I agree, but she does it just because it looks cool. She will add things to her batting stance depending on what she watched on Tik Tok that week.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
I'll save you 100 hours of watching YouTubes. Most youth kids throw with their lead arm glued to their body. Get both elbows up and rotate them around together. Take the throwing hand back by your neck/shoulder. Throw the lead elbow down hard close to the body.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
I've been working the water bottle drill a bunch with my 8 year old. She watched too many college highlight videos and started falling in love with throwing side arm.

When DD started all she wanted to do was throw side arm. It took forever to correct. I told her that at home and in practice we had to do it right. Then let in game be what it was. It fixed itself over time.

But she still loves any chance to sling the ball sidearm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BLB

May 19, 2008
Arm slot is determined by shoulder tilt, unless your elbow & shoulders are not properly aligned. Work on shoulder tilt & it should help with arm slot. Sometimes using a badminton/tennis racket & asking the player to hit an imaginary birdie/ball up & over an imaginary roof of a house without letting the elbow break its alignment with her shoulders can help. The angle of arm extension when simulating contact with ball/birdie is important.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802