Best instructional videos or books?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

BLB

May 19, 2008
In your opinion, what are some of the most highly regarded instructional videos or books on developing defensive skills whether it be for baseball or softball?

Jul 29, 2008
I haven't viewed them, but I've heard Howard Kobata's name over and over again.

I don't know what level you are trying to teach, but there are free, basic instructional video's like sportskool and Mendoza's series on Louisville's site.

BLB

May 19, 2008
Thanks for the info. Anyone have any comments on these particular videos? Actually we are organizing a local coach's association and part of its objectives is to compile a library of instructional material for all levels. Feedback such as they do for instructional books on Amazon.com for example would be very helpful. My rating on some of the videos/books out there are not that great while some are good. It would be great to hear people's opinions on the material they consider very good, etc.

Kobata's DVD's was on my wish list that I gave my wife for Christmas. She probably thinks I'm crazy for wanting a softball/baseball instructional DVD for Christmas, but hopefully I get them. If not, I'll buy them myself very soon, so then I will be able to give my own opinion, but I have heard very little (if any) bad about his DVD's.

I'm also probably going to get catching coach's DVD soon, I've heard very good stuff about it (unless I'm mistaken about who catching coach is, but I think I'm right). Right now my DD is still trying to pitch and catch both (not at the same time, obviously :D ), but I have a feeling she is going to end up playing catcher (and infield) rather than pitcher, she seems to enjoy catching more.

I have Englishbey's DVD's, they have good stuff but it's not presented in the most professional matter....there is a lot more info on his site that you get access to with his DVD's, which makes them even more worth the $$$, IMHO.

I like Ted William's book also, it has some good stuff in it, especially about the mental aspect of being a good hitter.

Dec 28, 2008
A neat site you can check out is WinningSoftballOnline. This site is a subscription based site. I think it costs around $75 annually, and that gives you access to tons of training videos from great coaches/instructors on all subjects. This past year they added a drills videos section to the site, but by then my subscription had expired. They offer a guest pass which lets you try before you buy kind of thing. I feel like I got way more than money's worth for the cost as I could have only bought 1 or 2 videos for the cost that I got to watch about 20 over the course of the past year.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RunnerOn2