Best Glove Break-in Services?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 28, 2014
I never understood why players don't just play catch with a glove to break it in. No need for all this nonsense of steaming, putting it under the bed, in a hot oven, taking a mallet to the leather, etc. Go outside with your D and play catch every day. Put some glove oil on it and wrap it with a softball inside until the next day. Repeat....

Because girls can't close Vinci's for the first 3 weeks of using them lol..

May 1, 2018
I never understood why players don't just play catch with a glove to break it in. No need for all this nonsense of steaming, putting it under the bed, in a hot oven, taking a mallet to the leather, etc. Go outside with your D and play catch every day. Put some glove oil on it and wrap it with a softball inside until the next day. Repeat....

People with weaker hands will break in their gloves incorrectly doing this. Their middle finger and thumb will meet cause that's their strong digits.

Feb 7, 2013
The question I have is if the hands are so weak to use that type of stiff glove, maybe it isn't the best "fit" for her? Both my DS/DD have had many gloves over the past 12 years and the best way to break them in was good old-fashioned use. YMMV...

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
The question I have is if the hands are so weak to use that type of stiff glove, maybe it isn't the best "fit" for her? Both my DS/DD have had many gloves over the past 12 years and the best way to break them in was good old-fashioned use. YMMV...

Every STIFF glove Anna has used, and that'd be 3, this was the majority of how we broke her gloves in. In the back yard I had my towel and my 5lb. dumbbell, I would work the pocket, and all the break points in the heel and then throw hard! And then as you said, repeat...........yeah I've used hot water in the pocket, a clothes dryer, sit it on the dash inside my car for a couple of hours, but never a microwave, oven, or steam from that death box at DSG! My trusty dumbbell, working it with my hands, playing catch, and a little Lexol have been my method for a long time now.

Jun 24, 2011
Search Wilson/Aso method on YouTube, do everything except pouring water in the glove. That, plus a lot of catch, will have the glove good to go.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Instead of a quick fix and doing things for your daughter have you considered having her take a couple hundred ground balls? Unless you are going to be fielding for her you really should have no role in the process. Same with the proverbial "which bat should I buy my daughter" question. Since she will be swinging it, I would get her the pink one she really likes and not worry about getting the one with the most pop so you can have bragging rights with the other dads in the stands. On the road to success there are no short cuts, only detours.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
People with weaker hands will break in their gloves incorrectly doing this. Their middle finger and thumb will meet cause that's their strong digits.

She is 10, so what if it is "incorrect"? Unless she is a dwarf you are buying a new one in a year or so. Better to have her take the reps and learn to field than to have a perfectly broken in glove and not be able to catch a cold.

May 1, 2018
She is 10, so what if it is "incorrect"? Unless she is a dwarf you are buying a new one in a year or so. Better to have her take the reps and learn to field than to have a perfectly broken in glove and not be able to catch a cold.

Or because her glove is broken in wrong now she has no pocket to catch when she closes her glove.
You breaking in a glove and her not being able to catch are not the only options.

ian

Jun 11, 2015
My 2 cents... dont put any oil on the glove. Oil attracts dirt. Oil adds weight. If the glove gets dry put a little bit of lanolin on it. Only lanolin.

The heal is the most important part of the glove. The pocket will form mostly by its self but the heal needs to be perfect for a perfect pocket. Work the heal evenly. The heal should be rounded and not creased. Play catch. Even if you cant close it and the ball falls out, just play catch. You can beat it a little but dont over do it. When not in use keep a ball in it... always.

Neva eva eva let another person put their hand in your glove. Ever.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robertsonwhitney45