Best exposure

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 28, 2019
What is the general consensus for camps/clinics?
Specific camps at colleges would like to attend? Or larger multi college events with many coaches and institutions represented?

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
What is the general consensus for camps/clinics?
Specific camps at colleges would like to attend? Or larger multi college events with many coaches and institutions represented?

It depends on many things. But you need to do your research and your DD has to have done all the work to make the most of ANY situation.

Large multi college events:
First - IN GENERAL - if your DD is not a physical specimen or doesn't have just flat out elite speed, the cattle call/multi-college camps are not for your DD in recruiting terms. Seen lots of totally useless 6' tall athletic pitchers get huge amounts of attention even though they are terrible, terrible pitchers while a 'real' pitcher is ignored. Same for the tall, athletic girl - even if she sucks at softball some coach will think they will be the one to make her a player - even though 30 others have already failed. To be fair - in a sea of girls you get limited time with, it is hard to pick out something. Athleticism is an easy thing you can see.

That said, they are great if you are there to see a specific coach or coaches and if you do the work before hand.

Lots of colleges don't have their own camps, or have lots of conflicts, so if you have sent your emails, made some contact, etc, etc, this can be a great place to get to meet them in person. And since they know you, you are not just one in a sea of others, but someone a coach may look at specifically. You know someone specific is going to be there, so you do your work before hand (even if they can't reply if they are younger) and away you go. This can work really well. Same goes for themed camps like Headstrong where academic schools are the ones there - if this is your kid, well this is a great place for them to be.

It is also a great no-pressure place for those early in the process to get over all the teenage nerves of talking to coaches. Lots of practice of shaking hands, answering and asking questions, & having a conversation. <<<---- This is a BIG deal for a lot of kids ----->>>>

But in general, if you just sign up and show up and hope someone recruits you or you magically hit a HR when some school you are interested in just happens to be looking - the odds are really, really low. Sure it does occasionally happen... just not often. Lots of these are just moneymakers and for many college coaches a quick buck to supplement their pay.

Of it your kid IS a physical specimen, then this is a great place for her! My DD is not - after a couple of these, she stopped going to these in favor of targeted camps.

------------------------------------

Individual college camps are great if you have a lot of interest or want to show some interest. But there are two kinds of camp

1) The pure moneymaker where the HC wont be around much - it is a chance to make some cash for their AC's and so on. Lots of skills and stations you see before. Lots of younger kids as well. Not a lot of recruiting here.

2) The prospects camp: NCAA rules says they have to invite everyone, so ANYONE HS age can turn up. But on the first day, they will separate the groups into the 'recruits' and the 'moneymakers'. On one side is the group of players the coaches are interested in... and then everyone else. It is great when you are in the 'recruits' group... not so much if you are in the everyone else group. You can tell which is which easily enough. Also the Head Coach will spend 80% of the time there. Again, if you are attended because you have done your work or you know they have interest, these camps are AWESOME. But if you haven't, you are probably just paying money for not much.

The good news is that lots of these camps are multi-days and you have a lot longer to show off your skills generally in a smaller group. This can be hugely beneficial. I have seen talented players move from the moneymakers group to the recruits group.

Do your research, do your work - and you will get value. Just turn up and hope... not going to get anything.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2013
I've heard it said many times, go to the college prospect camps. That's #1. I had my DD do a 2 hour hitting camp at her #1 choice last week. I'm 100% sure the coaches know who she is now. Even if they're only half interested in her, they'll recognize her at any showcases. We're still early in this journey, but I think exposure and recognition is the name of the game.

Apr 28, 2019
It depends on many things. But you need to do your research and your DD has to have done all the work to make the most of ANY situation.

First - IN GENERAL - if your DD is not a physical specimen or doesn't have just flat out elite speed, the cattle call/multi-college camps are not for your DD in recruiting terms. Seen lots of totally useless 6' tall athletic pitchers get huge amounts of attention even though they are terrible, terrible pitchers while a 'real' pitcher is ignored. Same for the tall, athletic girl - even if she sucks at softball some coach will think they will be the one to make her a player - even though 30 others have already failed. To be fair - in a sea of girls you get limited time with, it is hard to pick out something. Athleticism is an easy thing you can see.

That said, they are great if you are there to see a specific coach or coaches and if you do the work before hand.

Lots of colleges don't have their own camps, or have lots of conflicts, so if you have sent your emails, made some contact, etc, etc, this can be a great place to get to meet them in person. And since they know you, you are not just one in a sea of others, but someone a coach may look at specifically. You know someone specific is going to be there, so you do your work before hand (even if they can't reply if they are younger) and away you go. This can work really well. Same goes for themed camps like Headstrong where academic schools are the ones there - if this is your kid, well this is a great place for them to be.

It is also a great no-pressure place for those early in the process to get over all the teenage nerves of talking to coaches. Lots of practice of shaking hands, answering and asking questions, & having a conversation.

But in general, if you just sign up and show up and hope someone recruits you or you magically hit a HR when some school you are interested in just happens to be looking - the odds are really, really low. Sure it does occasionally happen... just not often. Lots of these are just moneymakers and for many college coaches a quick buck to supplement their pay.

Of it your kid IS a physical specimen, then this is a great place for her! My DD is not - after a couple of these, she stopped going to these in favor of targeted camps.

Individual college camps are great if you have a lot of interest or want to show some interest. But there are two kinds of camp

1) The pure moneymaker where the HC wont be around much - it is a chance to make some cash for their AC's and so on. Lots of skills and stations you see before. Lots of younger kids as well. Not a lot of recruiting here.

2) The prospects camp: NCAA rules says they have to invite everyone, so ANYONE HS age can turn up. But on the first day, they will separate the groups into the 'recruits' and the 'moneymakers'. On one side is the group of players the coaches are interested in... and then everyone else. It is great when you are in the 'recruits' group... not so much if you are in the everyone else group. You can tell which is which easily enough. Also the Head Coach will spend 80% of the time there. Again, if you are attended because you have done your work or you know they have interest, these camps are AWESOME. But if you haven't, you are probably just paying money for not much.

The good news is that lots of these camps are multi-days and you have a lot longer to show off your skills generally in a smaller group. This can be hugely beneficial. I have seen talented players move for the moneymakers to the recruits.

Do your research, do your work - and you will get value. Just turn up and hope... not going to get anything.
Thanks. I’ve heard many camps/clinics are just money makers for their respective schools.
Our local D-1 program just let the entire coaching staff go after a mediocre 5yr run. Haven’t named a replacement yet. Going through a 20 million plus renovation to softball facilities so I believe they are going to hire a “Big Name” coach to kick things off. Fingers crossed on that one.

Apr 28, 2019
I've heard it said many times, go to the college prospect camps. That's #1. I had my DD do a 2 hour hitting camp at her #1 choice last week. I'm 100% sure the coaches know who she is now. Even if they're only half interested in her, they'll recognize her at any showcases. We're still early in this journey, but I think exposure and recognition is the name of the game.
So she just did the hitting clinic? Nothing else? Would be nice if it was one price for everything instead of the nickel & dime BS for each individual skill.

Apr 28, 2019

It is also a great no-pressure place for those early in the process to get over all the teenage nerves of talking to coaches. Lots of practice of shaking hands, answering and asking questions, & having a conversation. <<<---- This is a BIG deal for a lot of kids ----->>>>

The good news is that lots of these camps are multi-days and you have a lot longer to show off your skills generally in a smaller group. This can be hugely beneficial. I have seen talented players move from the moneymakers group to the recruits group.

I get what your saying about the eye test. The girls 5’8”-6’ that are good athletes get the attention.
My DD gets plenty on attention locally without trying. She is not 5’2” yet. She plays on a 14U, 18U travel teams and wanted to play rec Jr’s this year.
She is a natural athlete and very strong. Great arm, good softball speed, & very good bat speed.
We don’t do pitching or hitting lessons yet with her being 1st yr 14U and entering HS in the Fall.
She isn’t fully committed to softball. When and if that happens the lessons will begin.
I believe even splitting time with volleyball & basketball she has the talent/potential to play in college.
Just looking to get her exposure in the event she wakes up and decides to invest the time & energy needed to be the best she can be.

Apr 16, 2013
So she just did the hitting clinic? Nothing else? Would be nice if it was one price for everything instead of the nickel & dime BS for each individual skill.
Yup. 75 bucks. It was a hitting and pitching camp. After an hour if the pitchers wanted to go to the hitting portion they could. Hitters, which is my DDs big strength, got to spend 2 entire hours with the head assistant coach, which is the batting coach. The head coach worked her way between the two. In the final thirty mins the head coach did live BP on the field. My DD definitely stood out so I consider it money very well spent. Total of around 30 girls just working directly with the batting, pitching, and head coach.

Apr 28, 2019
Yup. 75 bucks. It was a hitting and pitching camp. After an hour if the pitchers wanted to go to the hitting portion they could. Hitters, which is my DDs big strength, got to spend 2 entire hours with the head assistant coach, which is the batting coach. The head coach worked her way between the two. In the final thirty mins the head coach did live BP on the field. My DD definitely stood out so I consider it money very well spent. Total of around 30 girls just working directly with the batting, pitching, and head coach.
Sounds like time & money well spent.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812