Best bat for pitching machine work

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 11, 2010
There are plenty of machines using regulation softballs that are safe to swing at...BUT, of course they will still beat up a composite hammering it over and over.
I have seen waaaaaaaay more bats shredded by regular softballs out of a Hack than good condition dimples.

Usually is because some caveman has the machine set to “‘effin near un-hittable” movement with a healthy dose of “these kids ain’t gonna face Montana“ speed. Y’know, the kind of pitching you don’t even face in p5’s.

The caveman will then wonder mightily what is happening. “Hmmmmm. But that’s the settings I use with dimple balls. I wonder why they can’t hit this? And why on Earth have we broken $2,000 worth of bats this practice? IT MUST BE THE BATS!”

I’m going to add that SoftScrub is your friend during the RE-boxing process.

Sep 22, 2021
Sioux Falls, SD
I have seen waaaaaaaay more bats shredded by regular softballs out of a Hack than good condition dimples.

Usually is because some caveman has the machine set to “‘effin near un-hittable” movement with a healthy dose of “these kids ain’t gonna face Montana“ speed. Y’know, the kind of pitching you don’t even face in p5’s.

The caveman will then wonder mightily what is happening. “Hmmmmm. But that’s the settings I use with dimple balls. I wonder why they can’t hit this? And why on Earth have we broken $2,000 worth of bats this practice? IT MUST BE THE BATS!”

I’m going to add that SoftScrub is your friend during the RE-boxing process.
LMAO, so much here in this response. Good stuff...Just use magic eraser or chlorox wipes work as well. I will say, the ole stress cracks really start to show on just regular softballs firing outta machine, because nobody goes in to the machine and just hits 10 balls. You would think they'd make a gentler cork weighted softball for machines at this point?????!!!!!!

Dec 11, 2010

Check out these machine set ups by one of the best hitting coaches you will find anywhere…

Dec 11, 2010
You would think they'd make a gentler cork weighted softball for machines at this point?????!!!!!!
They do make softballs specifically made for pitching machines!

Baden dimple balls!

Now I’m kidding you a little with that answer. But I mean it. People get really hung up on hitting dimple balls. Use good balls, keep them indoors where it is warm always, and replace them when they start getting hard and you have the best ball to hit with a composite bat. It’s truly what they are made for.

The bad juju around dimple balls is because people used junk balls in bad conditions for so long.

Jan 25, 2022
Thank you all for the replies. Those links are interesting. As dumb as it may sound, i've never used the machine for short toss. We really doesn't use it a lot overall, but I got a Jugs for 200 bucks to play with. For short toss it'll be a lot better at throwing strikes than I am.

Sep 22, 2021
Sioux Falls, SD
They do make softballs specifically made for pitching machines!

Baden dimple balls!

Now I’m kidding you a little with that answer. But I mean it. People get really hung up on hitting dimple balls. Use good balls, keep them indoors where it is warm always, and replace them when they start getting hard and you have the best ball to hit with a composite bat. It’s truly what they are made for.

The bad juju around dimple balls is because people used junk balls in bad conditions for so long.
Bro, dimples are so heavy/dense. No bueno...unless these your talking about are foam like.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
What is better for longevity of a bat?
Good contact or bad contact?
Will one destroy the bat sooner than the other?

Dec 11, 2010
Bro, dimples are so heavy/dense.
Weigh them both.

Then push your thumb nail hard into a new dimple and a new stitch ball.
Dat split grip is making me twitch, seriously...holy shirt
I don’t know what they are working on there. I will say that we used it as a drill occasionally and both dd’s are pretty good hitters, lol
Good contact or bad contact?
Bad contact destroys bats. That’s why a hack machine with stitch balls (that move more than normal p or dimples) wrecks bats.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Weigh them both.

Then push your thumb nail hard into a new dimple and a new stitch ball.

I don’t know what they are working on there. I will say that we used it as a drill occasionally and both dd’s are pretty good hitters, lol

Bad contact destroys bats. That’s why a hack machine with stitch balls (that move more than normal p or dimples) wrecks bats.
Agreed. I saw three bats break in one practice while using the Hack Attack machine and real balls.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802