Best ASA red stitch ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
We played against a couple 8U players that could hit the standard distance fence on a roll. Parents do not know where their kid fits in so they start here and see how they do and if they want to play. Mistake to underestimate a player because they are 8U. DD played against a pitcher that tried out for the 12U national team, she didn't make it but she was good.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
We played against a couple 8U players that could hit the standard distance fence on a roll. Parents do not know where their kid fits in so they start here and see how they do and if they want to play. Mistake to underestimate a player because they are 8U. DD played against a pitcher that tried out for the 12U national team, she didn't make it but she was good.

I don't underestimate 8U players. 8U rec all-stars in So Cal always has some amazing little athletes. Pitchers throwing 35+mph from 35' is pretty darn quick! I realize that coach pitch is the format in some parts of the country, but the term "coach pitch competitive team" always seems a bit wonky (IMO).

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Honestly I am not sure how to do it. DD played player pitch with machine backups on walks. Some pitchers were never going to get the ball to home plate so you just needed to wait for thier 4 pitches then go to the machine. Made for some boring games.

Not as bad as 10u when it was all player pitch, a lot of walkfests.

Slow pitch games seemed a better game at this age.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Honestly I am not sure how to do it. DD played player pitch with machine backups on walks. Some pitchers were never going to get the ball to home plate so you just needed to wait for thier 4 pitches then go to the machine. Made for some boring games.

Not as bad as 10u when it was all player pitch, a lot of walkfests.

Slow pitch games seemed a better game at this age.

Typical rec format in our area for 8U is coach-pitch after 4 balls for the first half of the season, then all player-pitch. 8U all-stars is all player pitch. 10U is all player pitch, and walkfests happen, but they get better eventually.

If I recall correctly, So Cal ASA/USA uses soft-compression (RIF 1) balls for 8U, including all-stars.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
You didn't consider your team as competitive vs rec team at this age? I know its different around the country what is thought of as competitive.

In my area, the highest level of competition is 8U rec all-stars. Travel ball starts at 10U.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
You didn't consider your team as competitive vs rec team at this age? I know its different around the country what is thought of as competitive.

When my DD was playing and I was coaching 8U we certainly thought we were competitive and travel and rec was rec, etc, etc...

Looking back on 8U now it feels like we took it all slightly (much?) too seriously.

Top_Notch

Screwball
Dec 18, 2014
My DD pitches 16U A (PGF) and has been pitching since 9U. She's pitched them all. She prefers ThunderHeat. Says they have good seams. They are ASA but some have blue seams.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
First, there are a few TB tournaments for 8U around my area. Granted, they are far and few between but they exist around here.

As to the OP, I have found that Sterling, Dudley Thunderheats and Evil Sports Tump balls, all in leather, offer not only great raised seams for pitchers, but will last years for practices and hitting. Worth Dream Seams offer great seams for pitching but don't last as long as the other three I mentioned.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478