Being an Umpire

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 8, 2019
Probably be just as beneficial if not more to require parents to ump a game. lol

We do this in my DS's LL, and it is a HORRIBLE idea! You get all kinds of people that A) Do not want to be there, B) Do not know even the some of the most basic rules, and C) Think that the coaches do know all the rules. Do not even bring it up at your board meetings!

Nov 22, 2019
Minnesota, USA
We do this in my DS's LL, and it is a HORRIBLE idea! You get all kinds of people that A) Do not want to be there, B) Do not know even the some of the most basic rules, and C) Think that the coaches do know all the rules. Do not even bring it up at your board meetings!

Oh they would definitely be required to go through a clinic to learn the basics. Make it required, I don't care if you want to be there or not. Be an adult and do it appropriately or find a new league.

Jan 8, 2019
Oh they would definitely be required to go through a clinic to learn the basics. Make it required, I don't care if you want to be there or not. Be an adult and do it appropriately or find a new league.

Unfortunately, this is with the required training! I think it is only 4 hrs, so should probably be longer with a mid-season follow-up and maybe performance review.

In the end, there may be a few more dads that will not argue with calls anymore, but realistically, the ones that sign up are less likely to be the ones arguing in the first place, and in the mean time, 20 kids had a bad experience on the field, and were forced to adapt to rules applied incorrectly. There is a better way. (e.g., train and pay advanced league and high schoolers who want to be there,)

Nov 22, 2019
Minnesota, USA
Unfortunately, this is with the required training! I think it is only 4 hrs, so should probably be longer with a mid-season follow-up and maybe performance review.

In the end, there may be a few more dads that will not argue with calls anymore, but realistically, the ones that sign up are less likely to be the ones arguing in the first place, and in the mean time, 20 kids had a bad experience on the field, and were forced to adapt to rules applied incorrectly. There is a better way. (e.g., train and pay advanced league and high schoolers who want to be there,)

Well, really the best way is for adults to remember they are adults and let the kids play and umpires ump but I think we all know that isn't going to happen. I think you're missing the point of my original comment.

Jan 8, 2019
Well, really the best way is for adults to remember they are adults and let the kids play and umpires ump but I think we all know that isn't going to happen. I think you're missing the point of my original comment.

I think I got the original point, but we're in a league-limited area (and this is rec league), so the folks (there are certainly some moms in the mix, as well) that do not "play well with others" have no inclination or opportunity to find a new league. And why would they anyway when their kid is the only reason the league is even there? ;)

Nov 22, 2019
Minnesota, USA
I think I got the original point, but we're in a league-limited area (and this is rec league), so the folks (there are certainly some moms in the mix, as well) that do not "play well with others" have no inclination or opportunity to find a new league. And why would they anyway when their kid is the only reason the league is even there? ;)

I can relate as we are in a smaller town (6000ish people). It is the small-town feel with big-city politics. However, we have been fortunate to not have any major issues with parents heckling umpires but we also make our expectations clear about conduct before the season even starts. At the end of the day, it comes down to the coaches and then the umpires to enforce the policies.

I have yet to see an umpire throw someone out of a game whether it be player, coach, or parent when I have seen several incidents where it was definitely warranted. As a coach and local association board member, I wish they would penalize these people more. It would make it much easier, in the long run, to prevent the issues if there were actually consequences.

Sep 29, 2014
I umped travel softball for 3 years many moons ago and LL baseball when needed. I did respond to the parent call down from the stands one time years later during son's baseball game. It was a someone needs to ump or the game is cancelled situation so one parent from each side volunteered was 14U I think (the big field), I got with the other parent and let him know I had a few years umpiring and coaching experience so he gladly let me be home plate umpire. I did one inning from behind the mound then just gave up....I must have been the goofiest looking sight around but used an extra set of catching gear from one of the teams and got behind the plate...kinda like riding a bike...no real issues. I've thought about doing it again just getting old and not sure I want the hassle both from parents and on my body...lol

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28