Being an Umpire

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 25, 2019
I just finished my first year of umpiring USSSA travel ball, and I have to say, it wasn't bad at all. Yes, I heard the comments from parents about close plays on base or a close pitch, but nothing got out of hand. And as for umpiring itself, I found it wasn't really hard at all to call balls and stirkes (although the low pitch can be a bit tricky). And games, for the most part) went smoothly, balls, strikes, calls at bases, a infield fly and a interference/obstruction once in awhile. Out of the 60 games I did, nothing comes to mind that was a out of the ordinary call I had to make. So if you are thinking about it, give it a shot! I'll be taking High school umpire clasees this year, we'll see the parents/coaches any different there.
I like to ask the old timer umpires here (Man in Blue, Marriad, and the rest), have you noticed a change in parents/coaches conduct over the years (for the better) or did I just had a lucky season?

Jun 8, 2018
I umpired baseball and softball for 20 years thought I haven't done it for 20 years. Like anything else, you get comfortable the more you do it.

2 things that kill me to this day watching my DD's games:

1. Umpires that don't control the game. You can hardly tell that they called a pitch a strike or called a ball foul. Be vocal, be heard.
2. Anticipation. 2nd baseman has the throw from the catcher on a steal, runner is still 5 feet from the base. Umpire has made up his mind it's going to be an out before the tag is even made. Stop. Watch what actually happens. Take an extra second to be sure before making a call if you need it. Assume nothing.

I'm seriously considering getting sanctioned again and doing it the weekends my daughter is off.

May 29, 2015
@flash277 — I wouldn’t say you were lucky. You were fortunate. Some of that may have been luck, some could have been having a good assignor that never put you in over your head ... lots of factors at play. Could be that you are that damn good! (Go with that one. 😁 )

I have found that a new umpire is like alcohol: they enhance the coaches’/parents’ natural behavior. Most (not all) coaches and parents are gentler when they know an umpire is new. Those that are raging ********s will ramp it up because they think it is their duty. Many umpires say you should never tell them you are new — I disagree. Don’t make a show of it, but don't hide it.

Yes, I have noticed a change in parents and coaches over the years. But was it that they have changed or that I now see different things than when I was new? I don’t know the answer to that.

High school ball may give you a change in both directions. Generally, the players, coaches, and parents know more about what they are doing and what is expected, so that eases things a bit. However, you now have long-term and career coaches who are doing an actual job that they would like to keep. Some of them can be ... interesting.

No matter what, you seem to have a great outlook and to have enjoyed your experience! We need more of that! Make sure you share it to recruit new officials and to keep us old guys fresh. Just as coaches and parents can be troublesome, so can we as we get surly with experience (re: old, jaded, and grumpy). If you find yourself moving that direction, take a break.

Looking forward to hearing more from you on here! Holler if you need anything.

PS — if you are near Illinois, I have four USSSA tournaments that I will need umpires for! We have traditionally been a USA area and lots of our locals won’t spend the money to add another “minor” license/certification.

Aug 25, 2019
Thank You Man In Blue! I liked the line "keep us old guys fresh".....I'm 52 myself. Also, i'm in NY, I don't think your organization covers travel expenses! (Do any?)

May 29, 2015
Not at our level. 😁 If you ever decide to take a vacation to see the Lincoln sites ...

52?! You’d still be one of the younger guys here! (Older than me, but I’m one of the youngest “regulars” at 45.)

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478