Beginner pitching drills

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
I pulled together for my team this (mostly bs-free) playlist of I/R vids, ordered progressively from no idea how to pitch through deep theory... The intention being to introduce components conceptually and drills along the way.

youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6fHAMWEnBp345hYU6FY-IgpT9FydGnvd

I'm open to constructive curating of that playlist.... hold the flaming, please.
edit: the forum wysiwyg magic is aggressively changing link, think I finally got it to stay, but you'll have to copy/paste

Love this idea of creating a resource for your families! You have some really good material in there.

I'm in firm agreement with pulling the Portage video--not helpful. I really like the video from Mike Gervais. There's a few points I disagree with, but nothing way out there. Not a fan of Fastpitch Power stuff, either. While many kids may transcend the instruction, I believe there is better stuff in the playlist. I do not care for the "Building a Championship Pitcher" video. I'm frustrated that a very good college coach has such a poor understanding of mechanics...

With some refinement, I'd see this as a must-share resource!

Apr 17, 2019
I'm in firm agreement with pulling the Portage video--not helpful. I really like the video from Mike Gervais. There's a few points I disagree with, but nothing way out there. Not a fan of Fastpitch Power stuff, either. While many kids may transcend the instruction, I believe there is better stuff in the playlist. I do not care for the "Building a Championship Pitcher" video. I'm frustrated that a very good college coach has such a poor understanding of mechanics...

With some refinement, I'd see this as a must-share resource!

Thanks for taking the time to look! None of the videos are without flaws, imo (no offense, Javasource!). Each one is included to introduce a concept or counter/reinforce something that may have been said in another that was either misstated or confusing.

The reason the Portage video is included is for my audience of 8u and 10u parents who have no clue what fastpitch pitching is, but suddenly their daughter is interested in pitching. Portage does the best job of giving a mostly nonsense-free overview that I've found. He doesn't specifically endorse any particular method of delivery (though he does demo hello elbow, he doesn't talk about it), so I see the argument for pulling it from an I/R playlist. But unless you already understand something about pitching mechanics, javasource's videos don't make sense. Maybe I just need to make my own introductory video....

I may pull the one of the Fastpitch Power videos simply because of how long-winded he can be. The reason for including them is because I've seen all those issues (lean; over-clearing; forcing the turnover at whip) in my girls These issues seem to be common, need addressed early. I want my bucket dads on the lookout for them.

The reason for that Championship video is because I like the sock drill as it really shows if there's a hiccup in the delivery, and I like how she reinforces thinking forward. Aside from that one moment on the wall, she doesn't say anything in that vid that contradicts what I'm trying to convey. I honestly have more consternation about the "Pitching Mechanics" one with the load-stride-drive (knee at your target?), but can't find similar that endorses a more I/R friendly method.

I wish you could annotate playlists on YouTube, lol.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812