Beginner pitching drills

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 26, 2019
My daughter wants to give pitching a try in her 10u rec league, she has had some coaching from some varsity girls with more experience, I know very little about this... She seems to e struggling the most with big high low misses. Any suggestions to get her to learn the release point? Anything else to watch for on high or low misses?

Sep 29, 2014
Your job should you chose to accept it is to go to the pitching forum and read I/R in the classroom thread that is stickied at the top. then come back and ask questions about what you don't understand.

Probably the biggest thing to NOT do is let someone tell her get your hand behind the ball and throw it with an upward motion to where your elbow comes up and you can say "Hello Elbow" if her motion resembles anything like bowling she is doing it wrong this is NOT bowling...

Nov 8, 2018
Read all the sticky’s. Watch balswick, java aka mike muselin, Rick pauley sarah pauley . Watch as many YouTube videos as you can on these guys. They are the best at “this” technique.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 19, 2019
Internal Rotation. Don’t make the mistake I did and follow advice from any YouTube video. It will be that much harder to make corrections. Find out everything you can about I/R. As suggested above, read about it on here. The 9 o’clock drill is a good one for beginners once you understand more about I/R.

Jun 23, 2018
Texas
I was in your shoes a year and a half ago. Did the YouTube University thing and for the last 3 or 4 months have been fixing all of the bad stuff I pickup from YouTube "experts". You're in the right place to start the right way. Read and watch anything JavaSource. The 3 videos above convinced me to come over to the IR/BR side. Great videos to get started right. Read everything in the stickies. Once you have done that, then you are ready to start.

However, my advise is, unless you are a glutton for punishment and enjoy being frustrated, stop now. Just kidding. Wouldn't trade a minute of the frustration for anything. Just be ready to spend a lot of time on a bucket and be patient. One day it will all click together, but don't rush it. Good Luck.

Oct 4, 2018
In general you release the ball at the bottom of your arm circle.

How's that for simplistic? :D

Pitching is absurdly complex. However, after a year of working hard at it my 9 year old pitches 60% strikes in games and has a nice change-up to go with her fastball. So it can certainly be done. She's closing in on her 100th strikeout for this travel season.

To note: We take weekly lessons.

Sep 3, 2015
In general you release the ball at the bottom of your arm circle.

How's that for simplistic? :D

Pitching is absurdly complex. However, after a year of working hard at it my 9 year old pitches 60% strikes in games and has a nice change-up to go with her fastball. So it can certainly be done. She's closing in on her 100th strikeout for this travel season.

To note: We take weekly lessons.
Your reference point for release is the brush contact you make with your hip. This creates consistency and helps with spin and velocity.

With my DD, we started with a local pitching coach at 9 because I didn't know any better, we found the best PC we could find at 12u after I found this forum. It took about 6 months to make the adjustments (she already had some IR in her naturally), she slowed down and then gained it back and then some. She's the #1 on one of the top teams around and will be at PGF premier next month (14u). She basically has 2 pitches, rise and the drop.

I wish I knew what I was doing when we started.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478