Been A While - Need Some Advice

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 1, 2018
I love the no stride swing. That's how I'm striving to get my 12u player to look, timing is great on it.

May 1, 2011
I love the no stride swing. That's how I'm striving to get my 12u player to look, timing is great on it.

Make no mistake, there's still a stride. It's just not as pronounced. Tinkered with "no stride" about 3 years ago. She COULD NOT get her timing down to save her life. In the cage, it seemed like it was going to be the "end all/be all." Once she got in a game, different story.

May 1, 2018
Make no mistake, there's still a stride. It's just not as pronounced. Tinkered with "no stride" about 3 years ago. She COULD NOT get her timing down to save her life. In the cage, it seemed like it was going to be the "end all/be all." Once she got in a game, different story.
Yeah I have always taught DD no stride, Heel up, heel down..... so she does well with it. Sometimes a slight stride creeps in, which I'm ok with as long as it's athletic. I toe tapped my whole baseball career and I was not going to teach her that lol

May 1, 2011
You'll find that as she gets older, she'll begin to make her own adjustments with her stride. The slower the pitcher, the lengthier my DD's stride becomes. Faster pitcher for her = wider stance and shorter stride. She does that stuff on her own at this point. I will give this bit of advice. When she finds it, LEAVE HER ALONE. We did a lot of tinkering in 12U with stance, stride, starting hand position...and we always seemed to revert back to where she was before we started.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
giphy.gif

The only thing I can add is your DD's barrel path goes down to the ball and continues down to the ball. Instead of down to and up through the ball like this.....
CCabrera.gif

CPujols.gif

May 12, 2016
That’s not really a stride. That’s a pre stride movement. She just sticks her foot out there, all weight is still back, then shifts her COM forward (fyb). That’s definitely no stride on the double. Like this guy

Last edited:
May 1, 2011
giphy.gif

The only thing I can add is your DD's barrel path goes down to the ball and continues down to the ball. Instead of down to and up through the ball like this.....
CCabrera.gif

CPujols.gif
That's what I meant about steep angle. That's what her swing began to look like later in the season. She lost the "up through" part.

Sep 29, 2014
This is what is so tough about swing analysis through video or with only a couple examples.

First video early in count, normal stance and swing, high pitch out over the plate against a weak pitcher.

Second video behind in count, no stride shortened up stance and swing, low and away pitch against a quality pitcher.

Honestly if you asked her if she had two strikes on her against a really good pitcher and she shorten up her swing to make contact and the pitcher made a perfect low and away at the knee right off the plate that she is about to get rung up on and she reached out and got a double she would probably take that ever time.

I'm not a huge fan of the changing swing mechanics and approach with two strikes...but I'm not a P5 commit either. Coming back off injury like that though just gotta take it slow and easy. I'd focus on that first swing where every thing is very natural and balanced.

Jan 3, 2019
Florida
My DD suffers from a high attack angle and it's something that we've been correcting. What I found with her is that she wasn't turning the barrel back very much she was mostly pushing her hands down to the ball. When she had a high attack angle, I wouldn't see the bottom of the knob when recording at this similar angle. We started to focus on turning the barrel and getting on plane as the first move and her attack angle went down and her plane scores on Blast went up.

I can almost see the same thing happening with your DD. Watching the start of the launch over and over it seems like she's pushing somewhat in the bottom video versus turning that barrel and getting on plane earlier in the top video. I did my best here to try and pause it at the same time. I understand that the plane of the pitch in each picture is different and it's probably difficult to see the difference in these videos so take it for what it's worth. I'd take some slo-mo videos just to verify but that's my take on it.

1582569256667.png
1582569271263.png

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee