Been A While - Need Some Advice

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 29, 2013
No way the Donaldson/Bautista thing is going down. I can assure you. She likes being down in her legs too much, and to do that big of a leg kick would change her eye line too much for her liking. The "sit into" the front side is where the foot down early/drift thing came from in the first place. Was working on her ability to hit offspeed because as she grew in reputation, she started getting a healthy dose of it. The drift was something she just started feeling, so she went with it. The issue became her head getting way out over her front side. Where we were at before the injury I felt was a good place. The moment they let her start swinging, we're gonna see what happens. Her not being able to swing a bat for so long has just eaten her up, so I definitely just want her to enjoy it for a little bit. Gonna buy a bucket of pearls, take her to the field, and just let her drop bombs until her heart is content.
Sounds like my dd. She didn't like the big leg kick but she loved "feet together and then stride" a la Babe Ruth. Looked like she was on holiday in the batter's box waiting for the pitcher. It allowed an all forward movement, slow and controlled but she could stick her foot down whenever necessary.
As for sitting, be sure she sits downward and not forward. Bend the font knee and sit down against it. More like a real lunge and not a nose dive. Like getting ready to jump up for a ball off the rim....keeps the stretch shortening cycle activated.

May 1, 2011
Sounds like my dd. She didn't like the big leg kick but she loved "feet together and then stride" a la Babe Ruth. Looked like she was on holiday in the batter's box waiting for the pitcher. It allowed an all forward movement, slow and controlled but she could stick her foot down whenever necessary.
As for sitting, be sure she sits downward and not forward. Bend the font knee and sit down against it. More like a real lunge and not a nose dive. Like getting ready to jump up for a ball off the rim....keeps the stretch shortening cycle activated.

I feel like this is kinda what you're talking about. Although I think her head does lean in a little bit, and you can see that her hands start to bleed around. But, she keeps them back enough to have enough pop to drive this ball out. Sorry it's so small. Screen recording. Probably should have turned the phone to get it bigger.

Jul 29, 2013
I feel like this is kinda what you're talking about. Although I think her head does lean in a little bit, and you can see that her hands start to bleed around. But, she keeps them back enough to have enough pop to drive this ball out. Sorry it's so small. Screen recording. Probably should have turned the phone to get it bigger.

You must be having fun with that!!! I'm envious!
My dd retired 2 years ago and boy, do I miss it!
Ain't nothing wrong with extra power and bat speed!

May 1, 2011
You must be having fun with that!!! I'm envious!
My dd retired 2 years ago and boy, do I miss it!
Ain't nothing wrong with extra power and bat speed!

Not any fun as of right now. Should get cleared to swing a bat tomorrow. After that, it's GAME THE FREAK ON!!! She and I both can't wait. She really is special man. Have seen her hit balls 20-30 feet further than other kids on her travel team that are way bigger than she is. And I'm talking A&M, and LSU commits...so their swings are legit. There's just something about the way she gets the bat through the zone that just makes it JUMP. I'll post some video of our first workout back.

Jul 29, 2013
Mine went to an LSU camp in 2018 and dropped bombs but at that time Howard Dobson didn't believe homers was the way to win in NCAA so he didn't give her a second look. Broke her heart because she's a big LSU fan.. quit playing shortly afterward.....goes to school there now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RunnerOn2