Been A While - Need Some Advice

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 1, 2011
So, I was last on DFP in 2014. It's been a WILD 6 years. DD (not so darling anymore considering she's a teenager full of attitude) is a Junior in high school and committed to play at Oklahoma State. Have 2 videos posted. One is of her swing at the beginning of last year, and the other is her swing later in the season. She started the season pounding the ball to all fields, but towards the end of the season (and into the summer) she developed this very steep attack angle and started struggling with stuff on the outside half (even though the video is of her hitting the ball hard to center field). She tore her ACL at PGF in the game before the championship (also sharing that video...knew what happened immediately and my heart just sank), and she is about to get turned loose to start hitting again. Wanted to see if anyone had some advice on what to start with to regain her previous form. We have always put a lot of focus on the lower half, but I really want to get her focused on getting the bat back on plane and in the zone earlier. I have thoughts, but wanted to get some feedback from the folks on here and see what kind of ideas I can get from you guys. I do have 50 or so kids that I work with regularly, but with this being MY KID, I really want to approach this from a different perspective (dad doesn't always know best), and I have leaned on this forum in the past...and learned QUITE A BIT. Thanks in advance.

May 1, 2011
Can I change the settings without changing the links? I just made them public. Let me know if I need to put new links on there. Wouldn't think I would need to.

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
biggest difference I see is, it looks like second vid she is setting up in a very closed stance, and utilizes a "no-stride" approach? First vid, neutral stance, and strides somewhat closed.

also, do I understand the 3rd vid correctly? She tore her ACL "celebrating"?

May 1, 2011
biggest difference I see is, it looks like second vid she is setting up in a very closed stance, and utilizes a "no-stride" approach? First vid, neutral stance, and strides somewhat closed.

also, do I understand the 3rd vid correctly? She tore her ACL "celebrating"?

Yeah...kinda like Bill Grammatica back in the day when he was kicking for the Cardinals. That was the out that sent them to the PGF National Championship Game. Cool story with that, cause she actually got an at-bat in the championship in the 6th inning with us down 4-1 and drove in 2 runs. The girl she hit for re-entered and scored on a base hit a few pitches later and tied the game. Lost in the 7th. We were told by 2 different physicians that she strained her MCL and she would have to try and fight through the pain. The wider stance is something she does against faster pitching. I remember watching Derek Bell explain it (back when he was with the Astros) as more of a "2 strike approach." He would get wider and silence his lower half and focus on being shorter to the ball with a focus on putting the ball in play. Girl in the second video was throwing around 63. As opposed to the first video where it was more like 53.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2015
Midwest
Glad to hear your DD had the drive to rehab and make it back. It's a long hard road and takes an emotional toll as well, but will make her stronger as a person in the long run.
Having personally gone through this in our family I will just say don't throw to much change to quickly. If she is "just now" being released to start swinging, let her settle in and be confident with her swing before starting the tweaking.

May 1, 2011
Glad to hear your DD had the drive to rehab and make it back. It's a long hard road and takes an emotional toll as well, but will make her stronger as a person in the long run.
Having personally gone through this in our family I will just say don't throw to much change to quickly. If she is "just now" being released to start swinging, let her settle in and be confident with her swing before starting the tweaking.

Feelin' ya. It's been brutal. She had become VERY BITTER. Was told she's getting close to being able to do some softball stuff a few weeks ago, and it really lightened her mood.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
She definitely beats the pitcher to her "hitting position" and then makes the adjustment for the pitch out.

kNu2LWf.gif

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478