Becoming a dedicated pitcher only, when???

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 29, 2009
My theory is pretty simple. If/when she is no longer better than other players in the field and/or at the plate, then I would specialize. I don't see any reason to do it before then and most of the pitchers I see (even at 18u) don't specialize unless they simply aren't effective in the other roles (or just don't like them).

This is pretty much my DD in a nutshell. She was too slow to be an outfielder, but she had a better arm than most of them. For the previous reason DD was not a middle infielder. DD was only a so-so hitter. There were usually better hitters on the team who needed to play 1st and 3rd base. She was a never a catcher. DD always played on high-level teams, so there were always better position players. She was always the #1 pitcher and she could field her position well. By the end of 16U she was just pitching, and pitching a lot. She got the ball in the tough games.

When her college coach wanted to send a message to a player she would have my DD hit for them. That usually worked.

Each situation is different. In college the other starting pitcher on DD's team was a strong hitter, fielder and was quick enough to run for herself. She played the field when she wasn't pitching.

At 12U the players need to learn different positions. You never know what their physical makeup will be as they're starting to grow into their adult bodies. Some girls have trouble pitching as they get older. Some stop growing and are no longer able to throw like they used to. Many of them lose interest in pitching. Some don't want to put in the time. Some realize themselves they can't be effective as they get older. There are a myriad why girls quit pitching. If they still want to play they need to master a position or two to keep playing. Cutting them off and pigeon-holing them at 12U is not fair to any athlete.

Jun 8, 2016
I agree with that. However at a certain time we all learn that were not gonna make the cut. :)
Does your kid want to hit on her new team? If yes, how bad? Is she willing to find an additional 45 minutes every day to dedicate to hitting? If she does that and still isn't good enough then at least she can say she tried. If hitting isn't that important to her than nothing wrong with that either...

Top_Notch

Screwball
Dec 18, 2014
I think we can all agree 12U is too young to "just" pitch. My DD was at the tail of the batting lineup but always the #1 pitcher at 12U. Two seasons later (second year 14U) after finding a new batting instructor she's in the top 1/2 of the order, sometimes in the #3 slot. Still the #1 pitcher. She can play outfield better than our main outfielders but doesn't get the chance. Nor does she run the bases unless she pleads to the coach.

I know eventually she will have to become a roll player if she plays at the level she is capable of, but 12U and 14U ain't it.

Apr 28, 2014
Does your kid want to hit on her new team? If yes, how bad? Is she willing to find an additional 45 minutes every day to dedicate to hitting? If she does that and still isn't good enough then at least she can say she tried. If hitting isn't that important to her than nothing wrong with that either...
Her hitting would take the bat out of another kids hands who is better. Would be like a non pitcher wanting to get into the circle. :)
Me I like not buying $350 bats anymore :)

Jun 8, 2016
Her hitting would take the bat out of another kids hands who is better. Would be like a non pitcher wanting to get into the circle. :)
Me I like not buying $350 bats anymore :)
Right..I never said she should hit if she wasn't better than the kids in the lineup...

Apr 20, 2017
While I agree with most here that 12u/14u is too young to specialize. How do you handle a 14u pitcher that is on different levels with her pitching vs hitting? If her pitching can get her on one of the top PGF National teams but not be good enough to bat. Or play down and be one of the top 5 batters but not getting to pitch against the best teams. How would most of you handle the decision of which skill set to put on back burner?

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
While I agree with most here that 12u/14u is too young to specialize. How do you handle a 14u pitcher that is on different levels with her pitching vs hitting? If her pitching can get her on one of the top PGF National teams but not be good enough to bat. Or play down and be one of the top 5 batters but not getting to pitch against the best teams. How would most of you handle the decision of which skill set to put on back burner?
imo
Thats an individual decision....
at ALL levels.

College may dictate the final outcome if hitting still falls below say .200
Lots of choices at all levels.

BT3100 dd great example.
Depending on team level and the athletes performance. She had options.
So she took one choice as it was her goal.

Performance creates opportunities to reach goals!

Last edited:

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Trying to decide if this was sarcasm??

Hmm...maybe.

"Pitch calling strategy is very complicated...study the batters, study their swing, study their batting stance. Determine wind speed and wind direction. Check the tide tables and the farmers almanac. Plug the info into my new quantum computer, running the latest greatest artificial intelligence directly from MIT...and...voila...low and inside to 12U batters."

In other news: 12U kids like ice cream.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida

That is going to have to be a choice that she makes and may depend on her personal goals. At 14U, it doesn't matter as much as people seem to think it does; you still have all the HS years ahead and if you are good enough in 14U already, you could always just go play in the HS age group as an option..

I am going to rephrase your question:
"Or play down and be one of the top 5 batters but not getting to WIN against the best teams."

Because you will still probably end up at most of the same tournaments. You just might not have the batting lineup to win even if you have the pitching to do so.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812