Becoming a dedicated pitcher only, when???

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Hitting depends on the level of competition.
DD was on an 18U mid level team last year. Team won 4 championships at the regional level and she had the second highest batting average and hit 5th.
This year we are on a top 20ish team and face all top tier teams and she doesn't hit.
We could have stayed on the other team and she would still be hitting but she needed to face the best possible competition as a pitcher.
This is a GREAT example of an athlete making the decision toward their goals!

Jun 19, 2016
My 12U DD pitcher will never give up her bat. She was never much of a fielder so she doesn't spend a ton of time in the field but I would never allow her to be a pitcher only. Just this week she picked up on a team of 10 that became 9 because of injury. She had to play in the field the entire time either as a pitcher or a fielder. 12U definitely seems to be too young for pitcher only specification.

I honestly don't understand those teams that have 18-20 girls on them. This game is supposed to be fun and sitting on the bench all the time isn't fun.

May 27, 2013
We purposely sought out an 18U Gold team where dd could pitch and still hit, as well as play the field. The majority of our players play 2 positions, their main position and a backup position. Dd is a natural athlete and can play 2B just as well as any of the other players on our team. She dives and gets dirty just like anyone else who plays the position. She also has great range. She’s had college coaches ask to see her pitch and play 2B. Every camp she’s been to had her pitch and play 2B or OF. She’s also an effective slapper. I’d hate to see her be a PO, but that’s just me. I do get that other players/parents are totally fine with that, and that’s ok too.

She will play at the D3 level in college and will get time in the circle and on the field. She is extremely happy about that!

Apr 28, 2014
My 12U DD pitcher will never give up her bat. She was never much of a fielder so she doesn't spend a ton of time in the field but I would never allow her to be a pitcher only. Just this week she picked up on a team of 10 that became 9 because of injury. She had to play in the field the entire time either as a pitcher or a fielder. 12U definitely seems to be too young for pitcher only specification.

I honestly don't understand those teams that have 18-20 girls on them. This game is supposed to be fun and sitting on the bench all the time isn't fun.

You will think differently if you get on a team with a legit chance to win PGF.
College ball is about roles.. playing one at 18u is critical to understanding how to be a great teamate and how to perform when your number is called.

Apr 28, 2014
We purposely sought out an 18U Gold team where dd could pitch and still hit, as well as play the field. The majority of our players play 2 positions, their main position and a backup position. Dd is a natural athlete and can play 2B just as well as any of the other players on our team. She dives and gets dirty just like anyone else who plays the position. She also has great range. She’s had college coaches ask to see her pitch and play 2B. Every camp she’s been to had her pitch and play 2B or OF. She’s also an effective slapper. I’d hate to see her be a PO, but that’s just me. I do get that other players/parents are totally fine with that, and that’s ok too.

She will play at the D3 level in college and will get time in the circle and on the field. She is extremely happy about that!
Exactly!
All about what a kid wants. Great to have options for our girls!

May 27, 2013

On higher level and older teams, carrying 14-17 girls is pretty routine. It has helped us to avoid being short when the girls have work or classes, SATs, college camps, etc that they can’t miss.
Somehow our coaches work magic and the girls get equal playing time.

Jun 8, 2016
Hitting depends on the level of competition.
It does..Gasso found a way to hit Ricketts and Inouye-Perez finds a way for Garcia to hit..like I said it depends on how good of an athlete/hitter the kid is. It certainly isn't the norm at the highest levels but there are always those 6 sigma kids out there that excel at both...

Apr 28, 2014
It does..Gasso found a way to hit Ricketts and Inouye-Perez finds a way for Garcia to hit..like I said it depends on how good of an athlete/hitter the kid is. It certainly isn't the norm at the highest levels but there are always those 6 sigma kids out there that excel at both...
You're talking about some of the best hitters ever :)

Jun 8, 2016
You're talking about some of the best hitters ever :)
I said 6 sigma..at 12U how do you know whether that is your kid? If a pitcher likes to hit then you work as hard as you can at getting better at hitting and hopefully you play for a coach which lets your performance dictate whether or not you are in the lineup when you are not pitching.

Apr 28, 2014
I said 6 sigma..at 12U how do you know whether that is your kid? If a pitcher likes to hit then you work as hard as you can at getting better at hitting and hopefully you play for a coach which lets your performance dictate whether or not you are in the lineup when you are not pitching.
I agree with that. However at a certain time we all learn that were not gonna make the cut. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3girlsDad