Bean Ball?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 1, 2010
What are your thoughts on all the HBPs in the Florida-UCLA game yesterday? I only saw part through internet connection, but heard UCLA coach was pretty vocal about it after the game. She inferred that it was intentional. She was also pretty snotty about Florida stealing on her "bullpen" catcher.

Jul 28, 2008
I think it's sour grapes. This is the 2nd time in 3 years that the powerhouse, UCLA, didn't make the WCWS.

I don't think that Florida's coach, Tim Walton, would allow it. He's a class act. As for stealing on the bullpen catcher...if your catcher can't throw out base stealers, then maybe she shouldn't be playing at that level.

Jan 27, 2011
Los Angeles
I didn't see the games, but from the play-by-play:

First game: UCLA 1HBP, Florida 1HBP

Second game: UCLA 2HBP, Florida 1HBP

Third game: UCLA 2HBP first inning, Florida 2HBP first inning;
UCLA 1HBP 3rd inning, Florida 1HBP 3rd inning (both sides got warned after that; there were no more HBP)

So yes, Florida hit 6 UCLA players, and UCLA hit only 5 Florida players. The unfairness of it all! (It does seem like a lot of HBP; was everyone crowding the plate?)

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
There is a lot of bad blood between the UCLA and UF. UF starts five kids from California.

Tim Walton (Florida's coach) recruits in California. So, he and Keely Inouye-Perez but heads all the time. I suspect that every kid on UCLA was recruited by Walton, and that every California kid on UF was recruited by Inouye-Perez.

So, you've got a lot of angry kids and coaches on the field every time these two teams play.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2009
There is something in the water at Florida. He pulled his team off of the field in a game with DePaul a week or so ago. There was a whole big discussion about hitting players. Same coach and team in the middle of a bean ball controversy, kinda makes you wonder.

Sep 10, 2009
Houston
There is something in the water at Florida. He pulled his team off of the field in a game with DePaul a week or so ago. There was a whole big discussion about hitting players. Same coach and team in the middle of a bean ball controversy, kinda makes you wonder.

That was the USF coach, not the Florida coach. You might want to get your facts straight before you bash a coach.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eb7598