Batting the best 9 in pool play

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 25, 2018
DD is on a first year 12U team registered B that rosters 11. We’ve been a part of this team since 8U. This past weekend played in a 12U Open tournament which the coach decides they are going to bat the best 9 for pool play. The reason given for this was that it’s a single elimination bracket with a lot of tough teams and we should treat pool like bracket. The team went out and performed terribly loosing 16-0,12-5,and 8-0. While having silent bats they backed it up with double digit errors. The atmosphere in the dugout and on the sidelines was toxic.

This has never been the coaches philosophy until now. Always batted the line up even on bracket day. The tryout letter stated the team reserved the right to bat 9 in bracket play but didn’t mention pool play.

My question is how many other coaches out there only bat 9 during pool play at the 12B level? Is this really a thing or should it still be about development?

Side note this tournament involved a costume contest on Saturday if that makes a difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Sounds to me like the coach was trying something different to see how it worked out...and it didn't. Being that the scores were as lopsided as they were, it also sounds like the team was significantly out-matched, and batting more or less players probably wouldn't have made much difference in the results.

That said, if this change is causing a significant shift in the morale of the team, it's probably not a good idea. Or, the parents were being way over-dramatic, which happens pretty frequently in 12U.

Jul 22, 2015
Maybe at 16 or 18u A level and above at an important tourney I could see it, but 12u B.....nope. 12u in general and especially B level is about development. At that level I doubt I'd even go to batting 9 in bracket. It sucks to lose and he probably thought this gave the team a better chance, but you're probably playing B level for a reason and that reason SHOULD be in order to develop players.

Oct 4, 2018
Like Eric said above, don't do anything drastic or stress too much over one weekend. Lots of times coaches experiment -- especially in the fall.

Perhaps it was to motivate the girls, perhaps it was to see if that resulted in more runs. Seems like it didn't do either and you might be back to what you're used to next tourney.

May 17, 2012
It just doesn't make a lot of sense ignoring the outcome (bad loses). If you had 2 guaranteed pool games and bracket game guaranteed he should have just played everyone in pool play.

Best case scenario you go deep in bracket play since you got a high seed from pool play (and everyone gets a lot of AB's and innings in the end).

Next best scenario you have an average pool play and get an average seed and get a couple games of bracket play before you run into a good team and sent home.

Worst case scenario (yours scenario I believe) you bat 9 in pool play and get a crappy seed and sent home promptly.

He/she put all of his eggs in one basket...it was bad math. He/she should have adjusted after the first game or at least into the second.

It doesn't sound like he/she knows what they are doing....

May 17, 2012
I can't recall a pool play game that we played to win...maybe some goofy ASA Qualifier where weather was a factor.

If there was some tournament where winning your pool was clear advantage (leading to more games guaranteed) than sure you can play to win (if you are confident in your team).

But if you lose, you probably lose the team...

May 25, 2018
I should’ve actually put “best 9” in quotes because while one player didn’t bat at all on Saturday the other non batting position was split between 3 players in separate games. 2 of the three hitters have higher AVG and OBP than the coaches kid. One of which actually is 2nd on the team in average and the other coming off of our last tournament batted over .700 and is .150 higher than coaches daughter. The coach was nice enough to apologize and say it was based on stats. I guess I must have my stat chart upside down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NBECoach

Learning everyday
Aug 9, 2018
12u pool play is a perfect time to play kids who don't usually start. Yes it might turn out you could get a worse seed but they need to be part of team.

I remember when DD was a 16u. We played a pool play game on Friday and did quite well against a team with a reputation for being pretty good. The next day we played them in brackets and they had 3 new players who had to work the day before. Handled us pretty easily. So is pool play important?

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
This is only ONE tournament at 12U. We are always gonna 2nd guess the coach's lineup decisions. Since this is the First time the coach did this, and is out of the norm just make a mental note and see what happens next tourney. No need to get wrapped around the axle. I am assuming the bracket was seeded, and you said it was an OPEN tourney. Coach wanted to have the best opportunity to get a good seed against tougher opponents. It didn't work. No big deal. Your team was outmatched. Sometimes you get the bear, sometimes the bear gets you.

Jun 20, 2015
Pool play you roster bat. Period.

Bracket play there can be some other factors involved, subs - courtesy runners- injuries- Dp/Flex, etc. But 12u B level team the more reps you can get ALL of your players, the better they can become.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802