Batting Skills

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
One thing I have found is the the girls don't know where to hit the ball. I show them that there is both a sweet spot on the bat and a sweet spot on the ball and when those 2 collide - success.

Also, nothing is worse, than if I cannot demonstrate that off of the tee.

I look at a lot of their dry swings. I have them spread out and just swing the bat. I ask them to do that correctly, every day. It helps to have them look at their stance and swing, in a mirror or reflective window.

A hitting stick is a cheap station to set up, but you will need and adult or older girl to hold it.

Always throw down a "home plate" (almost anything) at each station and if I am really organized, I put down a batters box using a piece of plastic construction tape laid on the ground.

I don't have a lot of nets, so I use plastic balls of many kinds - so no one gets hurt.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
Backward chaining starting at the proper point of contact and then slowly moving back along the projected plane of a pitch and then slowly back to the point of contact is what I have had the quickest and best success with starting at 8 years of age.

When you are at a strong point of contact position with the hips turned, contact in front, hands above barrel, the kids realize this is where they have to return to on an optimum swing. Helping them learn the path to getting there by slowly folding the swing up to a launch position then slowly back to the ball is effective (not perfect). It also takes them out of strange set up positions and puts them in a simpler balanced position.

It also gives them a "feel" vs a series of steps to remember.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
Contact in front of what?
I would say when setting up with a 10 year old at point of contact it is good to have the ball on the tee in a down the middle position and the ball at the front of home plate around the front foot. A lot of young kids just learning try to hit the ball in the middle of their body with their arms extended straight out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fjhood