Batting ques

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 2, 2017
What do you guys think of the que "Keep the barrel above the hands?" I've heard many say that its a bad que, but I've noticed that if I give this que to my DD it seems to help he stay more connected or more in control of the bat.

Oct 2, 2017
Thanks, I should also of stated this que is for younger player like my DD. I'm definitely not trying to promote to her a chop down swing and she doesn't do that. I'm simply trying to get her to "Feel" like she is keeping the barrel above the hands. Other wise like many younger players her age, she tends to dump the barrel too early. This leads to elbow drag etc. I, know that usually elbow drag is because of sequence. But keep focusing on keeping the barrel up helps keep the sequence heading in a better direction if that makes sense.

Oct 2, 2017
I'd prefer 'hands above the ball' as a cue. JMHO.
I've heard this que many times. I've even heard her coach say this before. I'm not sure of what it is supposed to get a player to do though. It sounds similar to what I was always told, to "Attack from the top"

May 24, 2013
So Cal
The value of a cue is in how it is being instructed, how it relates to that specific player's issues, and how the player interprets the instruction. What might be helpful for one player might create a problem for another. There are a few "bad" cues that I've found helpful for certain players.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I've heard this que many times. I've even heard her coach say this before. I'm not sure of what it is supposed to get a player to do though. It sounds similar to what I was always told, to "Attack from the top"

I have used "hands above the ball" in relation to instructing the use of a diagonal swing plane, and the concept that the barrel is generally below the hands at contact.

"Attack from the top" is fine, if it's used in the context of turning the barrel down to and up through the ball. The danger is that an over-literal interpretation of the words can lead to a downward chop through contact.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
The value of a cue is in how it is being instructed, how it relates to that specific player's issues, and how the player interprets the instruction. What might be helpful for one player might create a problem for another. There are a few "bad" cues that I've found helpful for certain players.

Exactly. Not only does the instructor need to use the cue in the right context, but the student needs to understand and be able to implement. I remember a few years ago working with a then 14 year old on DDs team. She had the classic DBSF pattern that has been talked about here seems like forever. As we were working on it, I would occasionally gently say "DBSF" just as a reminder. Then I would hear her start muttering something. She was saying to herself "Dumb Blondes Shoot Fish". I laughed like crazy when she told me this, but it was her way of remembering the cue and working through it. Sorry for the detour, carry on...

Sep 17, 2009
What do you guys think of the que "Keep the barrel above the hands?" I've heard many say that its a bad que, but I've noticed that if I give this que to my DD it seems to help he stay more connected or more in control of the bat.
.At what point are you suggesting the barrel is ABOVE the hands. Not at contact, right? So when?

It SEEMS like you are telling her is to control the barrel with her hands, which I think is a very good thing. It's the word 'above' that is throwing me off. Like Eric i tend to instruct a diagonal barrel at contact which would place the barrel BELOW than hands. But we may be talking about different things.

Overall, I agree with others that any cue that works for a particular hitter is a good cue -- regardless of what others think of them! BUT, cues that encourage wrong behaviors, even if they work for a while, might ultimately burn in something that you DON'T want.

Sep 29, 2014
^^^^ much better cue is "hands above the ball" but I understand we are talking about different parts of the swing but I don't like things that can be misinterpreted especially at a young age. I've seen so many DBSF or bending knees at younger ages that hands above ball is a cue that will help them better understand the concept of using bat angle for low pitches.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802