Batting out of Order?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 29, 2014
I am trying to remember but am not sure I have it exactly right:

Batter #4 in line up bats in #3 spot then batter #3 proceeds to bat in #4 spot. #3 gets on then #5 comes up after a couple pitches the other coach appeals and umpire calls BR #3 who is now on 3B out.
I am almost positive that since #5 is the correct batter and has taken a pitch #3 is no longer in jeopardy of being out, there is no remedy/penalty allowed and play continues.

Also what is the difference if #5 does not take a pitch does the opposing team have option of result of play or #3 who batted out of order being called out? and what happens to any runners advanced?

Jun 22, 2008
After a pitch has been thrown to the next batter, the defense can no longer appeal the batting out of order and the out of order at bat is legitimized and has essentially reset the batting order. But, based on your scenario you have a mess and I would have to sit down and read the rule and think about it a bit. #4's at bat was made legal when a pitch was thrown to #3, and now #5 should have been the correct batter. But, #3 completed the at bat and then pitches were thrown to #5 making #3's at bat legitimate and now #4 is actually the correct batter. You say #3 was called out at 3rd, where was #4? Had they scored or been put out?

Again, will have to reread the rule and think about it a bit.

Sep 29, 2014
Thanks ...

#3 was called out at 3rd on the appeal...which I am pretty sure no matter how messed up this thing is can't be right since the batter at the plate had taken a pitch. and Yes #4 who batted in the #3 spot had been put out.

All that happened was #3 and #4 switched places but I now see it is a bigger mess because the batting order is "reset" with unnoticed errors, I guess if #6 would have gotten up all would have been right again.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Batting out of order plays can make you pull your hair out! The right call depends on so many differnt factors. At what point it's appealed, what actually happened on the play, or if pitches are thrown to the next batter all can dramatically affect the call.

Luckily, when several players bat out of order you don't really need to go back several at-bats to straighten it out. You only need to concern yourself with the batter who just batted.

Batter #3 completes her at-bat. Anything that happened before that is moot with respect to who's up next.

As soon as a pitch is thrown to the next batter, batter #3's at-bat is legitimized. That means the next correct batter would be #4. The rules tell us that if #4 was on base, we would skip her without further penalty and #5 would be the next batter. But in this case #4 is not on base, she's in the dugout. That means that she would bat again.

Now #5 is at the plate and sees several pitches. If batting out of order is appealed before #5 completes her at-bat, there is no penalty. You put the correct batter at the plate- yes, that's #4 again- and the correct batter assumes whatever ball/strike count the improper batter had.

To answer your last question (What happens if #5 does not take a pitch and BOO is appealed): #4 batted last. Her at-bat became legitimate when #3 received a pitch. That means #5 should have been the next batter. Instead of #5, #3 actually batted.

The batter who should have batted (#5) is called out. The improper batter's time at bat is negated (#3). The next batter is whoever follows the batter who was called out. That would be #6.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom