Batting out of order, what's the call?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 1, 2013
8 hole jumps ahead of 7 hole, 8 hole singles...
7 hole comes up to bat and pitcher throws 2 pitches to her...
Coaches bring up out of order and umps call runner on 1st out, and now 9 hole bats behind 7.
UIC backs the umps call.

USSSA

Please site rule for your call. Thanks for the help guys.

Jun 22, 2008
Don't have access to my usssa rule book but pretty sure the batting out of order rules are the same. Bases on asa rule both ump and uic blew the call. It's to late to appeal the batting out of order after a pitch has been thrown to the next batter. The correct batter is #9 and she would come to bat and assume whatever the count was of the 2 pitches thrown to #7.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2013
I can't quote it's since I am on a tablet but it is Rule 9 Section 10. The call is wrong. As soon as a pitch is delivered to the next batter they became the legal batter in order.

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
I can't quote it's since I am on a tablet but it is Rule 9 Section 10. The call is wrong. As soon as a pitch is delivered to the next batter they became the legal batter in order.

I think that you understand the rule, but didn't word that the right way.

As soon as a pitch is thrown to the next batter, the previous batter's at-bat becomes legal and all play up to that point stands. The next "legal" batter is whoever follows the previous one. In this case, that would be #9 since #8 was legitimized.

So, no, #7 is not the next legal batter. There is still a rule violation occurring that can be appealed. The difference is when it's appealed. If before #7 completes her at bat, then put #9 at the plate. She assumes whatever ball/strike count #7 had and you play on without further penalty.

If appealed after #7 completes her at-bat, but before the next batter receives a pitch, then the batter who should have been batting is out (#9) and the next batter is whoever follows the batter who was called out (#1 would be up).

Jun 1, 2013
Due to games/parents/players did not see the UIC again but I did see one of the umps that were involved. Apparently the following morning there was a meeting and all discussed it, UIC acknowledged his error and now they know how to handle the situation. It was not game changing call and we went on to win that game. I was just floored that the UIC did not know the call and was adamant he was correct. This was not an off the cuff call or conversation. He had ample time to look at the rule and get it right before I spoke with him. Well, at least he knows now.

May 9, 2014
Umatilla, Florida
This happened to my dd, she batted out of order the entire game coach wrote the line up wrong in the dugout. She was hitting good, then the last inning she got a base hit to first, the next batter came up to bat, I don't remember if a pitch was thrown to her or not, but they called that batter out and made my dd hit again. She got a double that hit and ended up scoring so it didn't do them any favors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fjhood