Batting Order for a weak hitting team with weird rules (10U

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 13, 2018
I coach a 10U c (at best) team with almost all first year "travel" players. A couple played on an 8U team last year, but most have one or two at most rec experience up until now.

The league we're playing in has two 10U divisions, one is a normal 10U, ours is more developmental. They installed new rules since we played in the fall. Fall was modified coach pitch, once there were 4 balls, a coach could come out and throw up to 3 more pitches to the batter, put it in play or strikeout during those pitches, strike count remained from player pitch.

For the spring they modified the rules so that the first three batters of every inning can walk, but the 4th and subsequent batters cannot be and will get coach pitch. The other big change is that there is now a maximum of 3 runs per inning instead of the 5 we played in the fall. The thought is that they want pitchers to have some penalty for throwing nothing but balls, and to allow pitchers who can throw strikes really help their team. The 3 run rule was put in because we barley get 3 innings in during a 1:45 game time BEFORE we added walks into the mix.

So I'm trying to figure out my batting order. I have 10 girls that will all bat. My gut was to put the first 3 batters as okay hitters that also take a lot of pitches to try to work the walks with pitching that will be, at least I think, quite rough. Then put my next two best hitters up 4th and 5th, try to drive two or three runs in right away and end the inning on a coach pitch. Then put weaker batters at 6-7-8, and finish up with stronger batters at 9 and 10. It seems really weird to put better hitters so far down in the lineup but with only getting to score 3 runs an inning, I really want to try to avoid innings where we don't score any, and maximize the ones we score 3.

Anyone play by weird rules like this and what did you find that works or any thoughts on my thoughts?

Last edited:

SB45

Dad, Coach, Chauffeur
Sep 2, 2016
Western NY
Put the girls that you think will still be playing in a couple of years in a position where they will get some decent at bats. Don't let them think about taking pitches...be aggressive and go after any good pitches they see.

Feb 17, 2014
At this age and level of play, it is important to develop everyone equally. I would have a different batting order every game and give everyone equal opportunity to develop. Teach them all how to play every position as well.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
At this age and level of play, it is important to develop everyone equally. I would have a different batting order every game and give everyone equal opportunity to develop. Teach them all how to play every position as well.

This ^^^.

Or, set the batting order by the order that they show up for pre-game warm-ups.

Penalizing pitchers at this level is a BIG mistake. Don't you think every single pitcher WANTS to throw strikes, and is doing their very best to TRY to throw strikes?? This isn't to help the pitchers develop, it's because the adults don't have the patience to watch the kids learn how to succeed through their struggles.

Aug 13, 2018
Oh everyone plays just about everywhere (except pitcher, to pitch on my team you have to take outside lessons and I have three girls that do so and they’ll all get pitching time.)

Other than pitcher and catcher (because I only have on girl that LIKES to catch) no one plays at the same position for more than two innings and everyone gets infield and outfield experience.

Just with batting trying to navigate the new rules. In the fall I had a lineup and whoever was out last in the game, the next person led off the next game. We’re very aggressive at the plate (at least they’re taught to be, I still have some that freeze up and don’t want to swing) but I was just trying to figure out optimal for one of those *i really want to win* games

Aug 13, 2018
Penalizing pitchers at this level is a BIG mistake. Don't you think every single pitcher WANTS to throw strikes, and is doing their very best to TRY to throw strikes??

This may be, but I didn’t make and wasn’t consulted on the rule changes. Have to play by the rules they gave me!

Nov 18, 2013
Oh everyone plays just about everywhere (except pitcher, to pitch on my team you have to take outside lessons and I have three girls that do so and they’ll all get pitching time.)

Other than pitcher and catcher (because I only have on girl that LIKES to catch) no one plays at the same position for more than two innings and everyone gets infield and outfield experience.

Just with batting trying to navigate the new rules. In the fall I had a lineup and whoever was out last in the game, the next person led off the next game. We’re very aggressive at the plate (at least they’re taught to be, I still have some that freeze up and don’t want to swing) but I was just trying to figure out optimal for one of those *i really want to win* games

I think you're already on the right track. I like the leading off with next person who as going to be up last game and no more than two innings at same position. I love the outside pitching lessons stipulation and that you give all the girls who take lessons innings. Nice to reward them for working outside of practice. Especially when the worst that could happen is a few walks. Painful on the parents, but they all go through it. Some longer than we'd like!

Apr 28, 2014
Put the girls that you think will still be playing in a couple of years in a position where they will get some decent at bats. Don't let them think about taking pitches...be aggressive and go after any good pitches they see.

No offense but at 10U my kid was on a team with 6 pitchers. 4 pitched all of the innings while my DD and the other kid begged for a batter. 5 years later not one of the kids that the coach thought would be pitching now are still pitching except one. And I may be biased but I knew it all along :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802