Batting helmet question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 7, 2019
Does anyone know what the rules are for batting helmet face masks? My DD hates the mask, and asked if she could use a face guard like her brother has. Does anyone know if they are legal in softball, travel/high school?

Apr 16, 2013
Does anyone know what the rules are for batting helmet face masks? My DD hates the mask, and asked if she could use a face guard like her brother has. Does anyone know if they are legal in softball, travel/high school?
It will be different for every org, but most have a "protective" clause about batting helmets. I'm right there with you. My DD grew up playing baseball and absolutely hates masks. Personally, I cut away the top portion of the mask on her batting helmet. Allows her a far better, unobstructed view, and meets the "must have a facemask" rule.

Aug 25, 2019
It will be different for every org, but most have a "protective" clause about batting helmets. I'm right there with you. My DD grew up playing baseball and absolutely hates masks. Personally, I cut away the top portion of the mask on her batting helmet. Allows her a far better, unobstructed view, and meets the "must have a facemask" rule.
You did?......And no umpire threw that helmet out? As an umpire, I would never allow a helmet with half the mask, You altered the integrity of the helmet. Big liability to your organization, and the coach, and the umpire, if your DD gets smashed in the face due to that facemask being altered.

Aug 25, 2019

USSSA Rules Rule 2 Equipment, Section 1:

All fastpitch batting helmets shall be equipped with a NOCSAE-approved face protector. The phrase, “Meets NOCSAE Standard at the time of manufacture” must be permanently affixed to the face protector. If an eye shield is worn attached to the batting helmet, it must be constructed of a molded rigid material that is clear and permits 100 percent (no tint) allowable light transmission. A chinstrap is optional.

USA Rules: Rule 3 Equipment Section E:

All Junior Olympic Fast Pitch batting helmets shall be equipped with a securely fastened NOCSAE approved face mask/guard. Batting helmets that are broken, cracked, dented, or have been illegally altered are prohibited from use.

Aug 25, 2019
Flash, so are you saying the face guard would be acceptable in place of the mask?
No, I'm not saying that at all. Basically every rule set says for youth softball you need a face mask, not a guard. Not only for hitting, but is she is running the bases, a mask protects her from getting hit in face with errant throws.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2009
Flash, so are you saying the face guard would be acceptable in place of the mask?

The face mask must be NOCSAE-approved. NOCSAE is a safety testing body. They do scientific testing of equipment. If you cut away the top of the mask you've altered the structural integrity of the mask. The mask would no longer be NOCSAE compliant.

If the face guard has a NOCSAE compliant sticker/stamp on it you should be OK with your DD using it. So long as no alterations have been done to it.

There are companies who make masks that are open at the top allowing for unobstructed vision.

This might be what you want.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
I asked the coach DD's first year of REC why the girls had a mask and the boys didn't. Her reply, "You won't sue the league if your boy gets stitches, in fact you'll probably be proud...you will if you DD gets them." Blame the parents.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
The face mask must be NOCSAE-approved. NOCSAE is a safety testing body. They do scientific testing of equipment. If you cut away the top of the mask you've altered the structural integrity of the mask. The mask would no longer be NOCSAE compliant.

If the face guard has a NOCSAE compliant sticker/stamp on it you should be OK with your DD using it. So long as no alterations have been done to it.

There are companies who make masks that are open at the top allowing for unobstructed vision.

This might be what you want.

The Rip-It cage is similar, too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cputman12