Batting cage ???

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 24, 2019
Hello, been debating on adding a batting cage to my backyard, space is not an issue, what are y’all recommendations ? It will also serve as a pitching cage DD is playing 10u, also looking into add a pitching machine ...
thanks

Dec 11, 2010
I always say a cage, a pitcher through screen and 2-4 buckets of balls is the best money you can spend on softball.

I would go a minimum of 12x12x55. I have never built one outside but here is one thread that has advice on that

I bought from this company and was happy with it.

My buddy did metal poles that fit into sockets we set in concrete. He used BCI too. He may have fabricated the sockets himself, he has a ton of contacts at metal and welding shops.

Apr 16, 2013
I built one around 8 years ago. Still use it quite regularly. I built it full size, 70 feet, as my DD was playing baseball and we'd pitch in it. I used 12ft fencing poles from home depot along with connecting joints found in the same isle. The net was the most expensive part at around 400. You'll find there are several grades of thickness/quality you can buy. I bought mid range. The biggest damage has come from woodland creatures such as squirrel. I've even had a deer caught in it. She'll get a ball through the holes on the bottom every now and then, but like I said... 8 years later and we still use it at least once a week, if not a lot more. 700 total cost. As WW said, that's the best investment I've ever made in the game.

Dec 24, 2012
Chicago, IL
I’ve had the 55 foot batting cage Inc. in my backyard for about 13 years now. It was a great investment it’s held up perfectly and it gets tons of use and makes Hitting so much more convenient.

Sep 28, 2015
I went thru this 3 yrs ago to build a 12x12x55 tunnel in my back yard and researched it a lot so I will share what I ended up doing!

Mine was on a slight grade so I dug in one side to lower it and pushed that dirt to the downslope to raise it and boxed in both sides. I used 2x12s on the boxes ends tapered down to 2x6 in the middle ($400) I then added clean 1/2” rock at 5” thick ($200)and compacted it.
I bought used turf ($400) and placed it on top of the rock and used plastic landscape spikes to help hold it. I then added a 2nd layer of turf for the batters area, pitching area, front toss, and entrance (used up every piece). That second layer helped solidify any uneven parts and provides durability.
For the cage I bought a mid-grade net from an online store ($400). My poles are Craigslist found 1 1/2 - thick wall type galvanized EMT with couplers ($100). The pipes are on the corner and in middle on the side (6 total). Having something to tighten the middle of the net lengthwise is critical!! I have a shed roof and a tree on either side I use for that (adds stability and keeps the net higher).

In the end there is nothing cheap about doing a batting cage . But if you do it I would 100% recommend getting turf with a rock base for drainage. I can’t use my cage in the winter but it is always available the other 8 months.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariafermin279