Batting Averages

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Definitely different!
12u hitting over 210' fences!

How are skills video's now...
If everybody sends one....
How many get looked at?

Whats the college breakdown?
D1 = 295 schools ?
(D3 = 2100 schools ?
WAY off LOL)
*Edit*About 1380 D2 and below

Top hitters 20% ish

How many dont go on to play in college?

Yes other variables in the quest for college.....

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2018
@RADcatcher, very interesting post on page 1. I’m always interested in the history of anything from people who were actually there.

I think the pitching distance is huge. To this day, moving from 10u to 12u distance causes some pretty interesting adjustments. I would also think changes in balls and bats would have had a great impact.

There is another thing that looms large- the rise of hitting instructors, hitting analysis and widespread use of video.

My story for today: my niece played sb in the early/mid-90’s. She was a slightly undersized LH power hitter. She got a lot of accolades as being a good player.

Fast forward 10-12 years. Her mom did not understand why we didn’t just make a video of our two dd’s and send it to Arizona etc. to get them recruited. She said that when her dd was getting recruited, they got a response from every coach they sent video to. We played along politely, and said “yeah it really doesn’t work like that now”.

One day she shows up at the house with a DVD. It has not only video of her dd, but video of of some of the top players in the area of those days. One ended up pitching for a midmajor D1 in Florida and one in particular played for a P5 and a coach that was easily the biggest deal in the Midwest. These were scholarship players that got serious playing time in college.

Here is what I noticed right away: their swings. Oh boy..... The swings were not bad but DANG. It was not what I expected. I’m seriously not sure they would be middle of the pack in even the local Tb scene today.

Whats the difference? Video analysis. Hitting coaches and hitting practice. There was one hitting coach in the area then. Now there are countless options. Top players aren’t hitting 300 balls a week to get better, they are hitting 2x that. Female players work hard. They are constantly training. The effort and training expertise dwarfs what boys get here.

Kind of like women's Lacrosse today.

Yes, there are stars and studs coming out of high school and getting scholarships. But not enough, so I see girls with questionable athletic ability getting scholarships.

20 years from now they'll have this same story.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee