Batting average or QAB?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 29, 2019
Clemmons, NC
Was in a discussion with a few other people the other day about hitting and what was more "important", batting average or quality at bats? I'm a QAB guy. Just curious what others think....

Aug 25, 2019
I really like the QAB stat....but I'm just super old school...give me OBP and I'm a happy camper
I agree with OBP, but my daughter always at the top of her teams in OBP because she walks alot, (she has a great hitters eye), but she never gets the respect for being a good hitter.

Jul 15, 2015
MoneyBall goes with OBP and probably QAB - but if my DD is hitting well she is swinging early and often. When she is passive and taking too many pitches, her QABs increase but not her batting avg. or necessarily her OBP.

Sep 29, 2014
Obviously the reason I lean towards OBP is simple and basic gotta be on base to score runs....do I care how you got on base not really if you can maintain the number...

I don't mind slugging but really power focused, average is a better measure of getting bat on the ball but I like BA with RISP to see clutch hitting.

As others have said QAB does tend to reward passivity but at 10 and 12 U it does pay not to be swinging at junk which there is a lot of

Jun 11, 2013
OPS is the stat that matters. If it's high you either get on base a lot or hit for power. If it's really high you do both.

Dec 11, 2010
I have tried to figure out the value of all of the versions of QAB in gc and iscore and just could not make the connection. I always think “if she has so many quality at bats, why doesn’t she get on base more or get more hits?” It kind of sounds like a consolation prize to me.

I look at OBP and OBS first. I always like to look at ROE and percentage of hits that are XBH too. I think that tells you something about how well they run as well as raw hitting power.

As far as OBP, if you are getting on base you are a valuable player. The funny thing is, sometimes the free swingers are your high OBP players. Kind of counter intuitive.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478