Batting Approach Age

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 2, 2017
What age is a good age to start teaching my DD who is 2nd yr 8u a plate approach? Example be aggressive early. Right now her approach is take 1st pitch every time. I don't think that is nesesarily a good habit to be in moving forward. I would much rather her expect to swing every pitch.

Jun 8, 2016
What age is a good age to start teaching my DD who is 2nd yr 8u a plate approach? Example be aggressive early. Right now her approach is take 1st pitch every time. I don't think that is nesesarily a good habit to be in moving forward. I would much rather her expect to swing every pitch.
Have you asked her why she takes the first pitch? A lot of kids do that because they are not paying attention in the on deck circle, in the dugout, etc...not saying that is your DD but it happens. At the younger ages I would rather have to tone down over aggressiveness than the other way around so if she sees a pitch she likes, regardless of the count, hammer it.

As she gets older you can refine things. Right now I have been telling my 9YO that with no strikes or 1 strike you don't swing at a pitcher's pitch,e.g. STOP SWINGING AT CHANGEUPS IN THOSE COUNTS..so far she hasn't listened :LOL:

Oct 2, 2017
Have you asked her why she takes the first pitch? A lot of kids do that because they are not paying attention in the on deck circle, in the dugout, etc...not saying that is your DD but it happens. At the younger ages I would rather have to tone down over aggressiveness than the other way around so if she sees a pitch she likes, regardless of the count, hammer it.

As she gets older you can refine things. Right now I have been telling my 9YO that with no strikes or 1 strike you don't swing at a pitcher's pitch,e.g. STOP SWINGING AT CHANGEUPS IN THOSE COUNTS..so far she hasn't listened :LOL:

She said she was told that by her last coach, so I guess that's why. To be honest, almost every girls does it on her team. One is like a statue on the first pitch. Doesn't even twitch :D

Jun 8, 2016
She said she was told that by her last coach, so I guess that's why. To be honest, almost every girls does it on her team. One is like a statue on the first pitch. Doesn't even twitch :D
I can tell from 220 feet away when my DD gets the take sign...

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
It's also a bat habit to swing at whatever comes across, and then take a seat in the dugout.

As an 8U, it's probably not a stretch to say that she hasn't seen a whole bunch of live pitching. I really don't see much wrong with taking a pitch...at that age, who knows where it's going???

At older ages, it really depends on the situation. Are we needing a base hit to drive in runs or a baserunner? Sometimes, the first strike will be the best pitch seen, and you'd better get on it. However, if the pitcher is erratic, I advise DD to look for one specific location and if it's not there, let it go by, even if it might be a strike.

Jun 8, 2016
It's also a bat habit to swing at whatever comes across, and then take a seat in the dugout.
Being aggressive and swinging at everything isn't the same thing.
As an 8U, it's probably not a stretch to say that she hasn't seen a whole bunch of live pitching. I really don't see much wrong with taking a pitch...at that age, who knows where it's going???
I think she is playing coach pitch.
At older ages, it really depends on the situation. Are we needing a base hit to drive in runs or a baserunner? Sometimes, the first strike will be the best pitch seen, and you'd better get on it. However, if the pitcher is erratic, I advise DD to look for one specific location and if it's not there, let it go by, even if it might be a strike.
This is good advice imo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802