Batters Box

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 22, 2008
I have yet to ever base any call I have ever made on if I am going to take heat from a coach for it or not. I call the game by the rule book, and if a coach has a question I will state what the rule says and the discussion is over. They have the right to protest if they believe my call is wrong, but I am never going to call or not call something based on what may set off a coach. If an umpire does that it is time to get off the field.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: MTR
Jun 7, 2019
I have yet to ever base any call I have ever made on if I am going to take heat from a coach for it or not. I call the game by the rule book, and if a coach has a question I will state what the rule says and the discussion is over. They have the right to protest if they believe my call is wrong, but I am never going to call or not call something based on what may set off a coach. If an umpire does that it is time to get off the field.

"I have yet to ever base any call I have ever made on if I am going to take heat from a coach for it or not."

Neither have I. It's not time for me to get off the field. Really no reason to say that to someone you've never seen work.

My only points were,

1) these plays most often happen in an instant
2) when that instant occurs, hands go up, dead ball call, followed by "hit her in the box"
3) the instances where the batted ball goes straight down and stops are rare, and are certainly dwarfed by the number of these plays where the ball is moving,

Based on these 3 points, I was just trying to answer what I thought was the original question. It seemed to me that the poster just wanted to know if the batter got hit with the ball while still in the front of the box, is she safe or out. Very simple question on a very common occurrence.

So, yes, in the very unlikely event that the ball stops and the runner kicks it out into the playing field (or anywhere else), then, sure, ring her up. That should be relatively easy for the PU and others to see. If you see it, you call it. But, in the overwhelming majority of these instances, it happens so fast that all you can really know is that the ball hit the batter while in the box. Foul ball.

Jul 29, 2013
"I have yet to ever base any call I have ever made on if I am going to take heat from a coach for it or not."

Neither have I. It's not time for me to get off the field. Really no reason to say that to someone you've never seen work.

My only points were,

1) these plays most often happen in an instant
2) when that instant occurs, hands go up, dead ball call, followed by "hit her in the box"
3) the instances where the batted ball goes straight down and stops are rare, and are certainly dwarfed by the number of these plays where the ball is moving,

Based on these 3 points, I was just trying to answer what I thought was the original question. It seemed to me that the poster just wanted to know if the batter got hit with the ball while still in the front of the box, is she safe or out. Very simple question on a very common occurrence.

So, yes, in the very unlikely event that the ball stops and the runner kicks it out into the playing field (or anywhere else), then, sure, ring her up. That should be relatively easy for the PU and others to see. If you see it, you call it. But, in the overwhelming majority of these instances, it happens so fast that all you can really know is that the ball hit the batter while in the box. Foul ball.
Exactly. My understanding of your comment is that regardless of what some nit picky commenter on a blog might find in the rules, the majority if the softball population in all sanctioned and unsanctioned play, would rule it as a foul ball.
What's on display here is a few nut cases who found a glitch in the rule that is still unclear, would go against conventional and rule verifiable wisdom and fact and stick their neck out and call the player out. And there would be rioting in the streets....

This is the debate in a nut shell...
1) batted ball and batter touch while still in the batters box: foul ball
2) batted ball and batter touch in fair territory area of the batters box. Ball becomes fair because it is touched by player(still or formerly the batter) in fair territory. Because the ball is now fair, the batter becomes a batter -runner and since there is no rule protecting a batter-runner in the batters box: the player is out.

Make call number 1 and life goes on as expected.
Make call number 2 and spend the rest of the game wondering if there's a lynch mob to greet you in the parking lot but feel good about yourself because you stand on a principled interpretation of the rules and good luck to you because you won't be asked back.

Jun 22, 2008
This is going to be my final comment on this topic, I am finished with it.

Nutcase? How many national rules clinics have you attended? How many training sessions have you sat through? How many rules tests have you taken?

Yes I have made that call on several occasions over the years and no I do not spend the rest of the game worrying about some mob in the parking lot. You have your opinion and I have mine based on what I have been taught and until there is some case play issued that says otherwise it is going to continue to be exactly that.

Jun 7, 2019
Alright, so I take it that it's not proper to add, "hit her in the box."

I will answer the question to the other umpires here by telling you that no one has ever taught me that. Perhaps that's because - as you both seem to have suggested - it's not proper. I may very well be wrong with that. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

But I can also tell you that no one has ever told me NOT to say it. I try to learn with every game I do, and over the years I've corrected many things that more highly trained umpires have pointed out to me. I'll talk to some of them whose knowledge I respect and I'll ask them about it this weekend.

And just so it's clear, I am not calling it in the same voice as the dead ball call. Dead ball is loud; hit her in the box is in a normal voice.

One last thing. One of the advantages of my incorrect addition to that dead ball call is that everyone knows what my call was, and why, and therefore I never get questioned about it. Until I know more, seems like a good trade off.

May 29, 2015
I’m not saying you’re wrong or right testandor ... just pointing out something that I was taught. Honestly, it’s probably just us dirty-minded old umpires that would even pick up on something like that.

I just call “Dead ball!” and make a hand motion towards the batter’s box. I’ve never had anybody require any more of an explanation.

I am curious to hear what other umps tell you. Might just be a local thing in my area.

And most important ... YES! Keep learning with every game and NEVER stop that. I always try to pick out something afterwards and reinforce it in my own mind. It might be a mechanic or a rule to look up ... but there is always something to learn.

Jun 7, 2019
I’m not saying you’re wrong or right testandor ... just pointing out something that I was taught. Honestly, it’s probably just us dirty-minded old umpires that would even pick up on something like that.

I just call “Dead ball!” and make a hand motion towards the batter’s box. I’ve never had anybody require any more of an explanation.

I am curious to hear what other umps tell you. Might just be a local thing in my area.

And most important ... YES! Keep learning with every game and NEVER stop that. I always try to pick out something afterwards and reinforce it in my own mind. It might be a mechanic or a rule to look up ... but there is always something to learn.

Oh, now I get it! I thought the LOL and "gives me a little chuckle every time" was bc it was wrong. I couldn't imagine why it would be wrong, so I replied. I get it now.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
I tapped out a while back. I’ve decided it is a “tie goes to the umpire” ruling ... but on a somewhat naughty side note ...

Was anybody else taught to never say “It hit her in the box”?

But, by rule, the tie does go to the runner. :)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28