Batters Box

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 18, 2016
So a rules question for all you umpires out there. Is there a rule regarding the catcher brushing back or moving into the batter while batter is in the box, when she's coming up to either fake a throw or throw to third? We had a game today where the catcher was doing this allot. She was essentially pushing them back with her glove hand while she was coming up to either throw or fake.

Jun 22, 2008
Catcher that has been taught to try and draw an interference call by moving into the batter. Batter is entitled to their position in the batter's box, catcher needs to work around the batter, assuming the batter stands still in the box.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Dec 18, 2016
Catcher that has been taught to try and draw an interference call by moving into the batter. Batter is entitled to their position in the batter's box, catcher needs to work around the batter, assuming the batter stands still in the box.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Thank you.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
But to build on this, the batter's box is not a safe haven for the batter to do as she wants either. If the batter is moving around and impeding the catcher, she can be called for interference.

Dec 18, 2016
But to build on this, the batter's box is not a safe haven for the batter to do as she wants either. If the batter is moving around and impeding the catcher, she can be called for interference.
Thanks...I knew that part and she needs to try to get out of the way on a play at the plate, at least that's what I've always thought and can't inhibit an attempt at third or anywhere else. But if she's just standing there I always thought the catcher had to work around or go around her and not push her out of the way for a throw. I don't recall seeing a catcher in D1 ever push or move the batter out of the way for a throw before so didn't think it would be the norm at 14U.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
But if she's just standing there I always thought the catcher had to work around or go around her and not push her out of the way for a throw.
If the batter has just finished their swing and is in the box, the catcher has to find a way to work around the batter. If there is contact that is not interference (and that may mean a catcher contacts a batter because they to try to make a throw), there is just no call to be made - go ahead and play on. But physically pushing the batter out of the way - not on.

There is a lot of 'having to be there' on an interference call because of the whole not needing intent - but the batter can't magically disappear and must be allowed to full finish their swing and basically exist.

If the catcher is intentionally trying to cause contact to get a call I'll let them know they need to stop it before they get themselves ejected. That normally puts a stop to that. Normally this also involves some idiot coach who is trying to work the rules rather than actually coaching their team.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478