Batter left game

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 25, 2019
DD playing in a scrimmage today and a batter on her team got out then had to leave the game. (10 batters, no subs). 2 innings later her spot came up, our coach skipped her with no out, other coach didn’t say anything. Now, if umpire notices, does he say anything ( he didn’t), or does does he say nothing and let game go on?

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Any spot in the batting lineup without a legal batter eligible to bat in it is an out. So in a tournament game, every time that spot came up to bat it would be an out.

Note: it is not the umpire's job to notice - they are not keeping track of batting order or who is or isn't at the game anymore; someone will need to bring it to their attention (i.e. scorer, other coach, etc).

Jun 22, 2008
Had a team show up for USA nationals a few years ago with only 8 players for pool play. Coach of team insisted the missing batter was an appeal play the other team had to appeal before the next pitch. Had to tell him no coach, the rule book states very clearly the missing batter is an out.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
there are no “official” rules that allow for 10 Batters in the lineup, so not sure how the umpire should treat the missing batter?

if you were ten in the *lineup* with a DP/FLEX, (9 players batting) when the player left the game, the coach could simply collapse the DP/FLEX and still bat 9, legally.

Aug 25, 2019
USSSA rules state a team can use rotational batting, where everyone can bat. As for DP/Flex, if another player leaves, not the dp, the flex cannot take that batting spot. Flex can only get for dp.

Oct 11, 2018
there are no “official” rules that allow for 10 Batters in the lineup, so not sure how the umpire should treat the missing batter?
There ARE official rules that allow 10 batters in the lineup. This is a Fastpitch forum. USA softball allows it in JO Fastpitch in tournaments that allow pool play. (Most USA tournaments are not in a pool play format, but some are and the rules are covered in the book.)

Triple Crown uses NFHS rules but adds a specific batting modification allowing an EH/EP in most, if not all, tournaments.

May 16, 2012
Missouri
Any spot in the batting lineup without a legal batter eligible to bat in it is an out. So in a tournament game, every time that spot came up to bat it would be an out.

Note: it is not the umpire's job to notice - they are not keeping track of batting order or who is or isn't at the game anymore; someone will need to bring it to their attention (i.e. scorer, other coach, etc).
Not the scorer. They should never bring it up, especially since most of the time they official scorer is with the home team. I have always told the scorer that I don't want to know if someone BOO or whatever. Let the teams notify me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802