Batter Interference

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 22, 2008
does "hinderance" require "intent"?
for example, if each batter steps out of the box on every pitch throughought the game would you automatically call interference on a pickoff attempt at 3B?

Almost every reference to intent has been removed from the rulebook. There are very very few instances that require the umpire to determine intent. Such as a thrown ball, the book says a runner must intentionally interfere with it to be called. Almost every other situation it doesnt matter, if a runner or batter does something that hinders or impedes with defense it is interference.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Almost every reference to intent has been removed from the rulebook. There are very very few instances that require the umpire to determine intent.

Except in the NCAA...2021 Rules:
11.20.2 The batter shall not hinder the catcher or any other fielder from catching or throwing the ball by stepping out of the batter’s box, or intentionally hinder a player (for example, on a steal/pickoff throw or a play at home plate) while standing within the batter’s box.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
11.20.2 The batter shall not hinder the catcher or any other fielder from catching or throwing the ball by stepping out of the batter’s box, or intentionally hinder a player (for example, on a steal/pickoff throw or a play at home plate) while standing within the batter’s box.

Read correctly, the rule states that intent in not part if the rule if the batter steps out of the box. In addition, remaining within the box does not preclude a call of interference if the umpire judges that the batter failed to vacate with the intention of causing interference.

Jun 22, 2008
Except in the NCAA...2021 Rules:
Unless someone is specifically talking about NCAA rules I do not even take them into account. The ncaa rules are so different from every other ruleset they should not be referenced as comparison. And as was mentioned, that doesn't say it has to be intentional, there is a comma in that sentence. And I didn't say all references to intentional had been removed, I said virtually all references to intentional had been removed.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Unless someone is specifically talking about NCAA rules I do not even take them into account. The ncaa rules are so different from every other ruleset they should not be referenced as comparison. And as was mentioned, that doesn't say it has to be intentional, there is a comma in that sentence. And I didn't say all references to intentional had been removed, I said virtually all references to intentional had been removed.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk
Simply pointing out a difference, not criticizing.

Jan 28, 2020
I don't understand why coaches don't just teach the batter to stay in the box until catcher has thrown the ball. All of our girls know to do this.

May 6, 2015
I don't understand why coaches don't just teach the batter to stay in the box until catcher has thrown the ball. All of our girls know to do this.

DD, a catcher, does exactly that. in fact, on a recent game, with runner on 3rd, and several times catcher popped up and ran at runner, DD stated "I am staying right here where I am safe". Umpire laughed, typical, most of the time she develops a good rapport with blues when working behind the plate.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I teach catchers to deal with the batter, no matter what they do. If the batter is stepping out of the box, move your feet to find a clear lane. If the batter stays in the box, move your feet to find a clear lane.

Ball in the dirt, knee throw, batter walking out of the box, look around one side of the batter, throw it on the other. Just find a way to get it done.

EDIT: This isn't something she was specifically taught. It's just a good player adapting to the situation with the tools she has.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2020
I teach catchers to deal with the batter, no matter what they do. If the batter is stepping out of the box, move your feet to find a clear lane. If the batter stays in the box, move your feet to find a clear lane.

Ball in the dirt, knee throw, batter walking out of the box, look around one side of the batter, throw it on the other. Just find a way to get it done.

Agreed, but what do you teacher your batters?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coopdog