Batter Interference

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 19, 2016
Texas
We have an umpire that refuses to learn the rules of the game. His pride won't let him be wrong, and he wants the game to be played his way, and it's pretty pathetic.

We had a team that was stepping out of the box after every pitch. Even with a runner on second trying to steal or on third. The catcher is constantly coming around batters out of the box to either check the runner or to try to make the throw to third. At one point, she had to throw over the batters head to third because the batter backed out of the box. The umpire in question told us that the catcher should have had to throw over her head, no interference. Later, different batter comes out of the box, the catcher makes contact, but holds back on the throw because the batter is in the way. No call. Field judge tells player she has to throw the ball and get contact to get the call. You probably see what's coming. Batter backs out of the box, catcher makes the throw, batter gets hit with the ball.

The umpire who obviously doesn't like this rule. Calls the hit batter intentional, warns the catcher, moves the runner from 3rd to home.

Playing under USA rules.

It's amazing that they can make an "intention" call when a girl gets grazed by a ball, but they can't tell when a catcher intends to throw but is interfered with.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

May 16, 2012
Missouri
We have an umpire that refuses to learn the rules of the game. His pride won't let him be wrong, and he wants the game to be played his way, and it's pretty pathetic.

We had a team that was stepping out of the box after every pitch. Even with a runner on second trying to steal or on third. The catcher is constantly coming around batters out of the box to either check the runner or to try to make the throw to third. At one point, she had to throw over the batters head to third because the batter backed out of the box. The umpire in question told us that the catcher should have had to throw over her head, no interference. Later, different batter comes out of the box, the catcher makes contact, but holds back on the throw because the batter is in the way. No call. Field judge tells player she has to throw the ball and get contact to get the call. You probably see what's coming. Batter backs out of the box, catcher makes the throw, batter gets hit with the ball.

The umpire who obviously doesn't like this rule. Calls the hit batter intentional, warns the catcher, moves the runner from 3rd to home.

Playing under USA rules.

It's amazing that they can make an "intention" call when a girl gets grazed by a ball, but they can't tell when a catcher intends to throw but is interfered with.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
So, how did the protest go??

Feb 19, 2016
Texas
So, how did the protest go??

Yeah. Protest. Should have gone to that first. It was a losing effort anyway, and by the time the dust settled, I was tossed for suggesting he read a rule book one time. The catcher was crying so I figured I'd cheer her up a bit by fully backing the play and take the heat from all the opposing parents that were yelling some vicious things about her. I wasn't angry. We have this umpire often and we've kind of learned to deal with his floating strike zone and bad judgement calls. I get that part of it, I couldn't do any better with that stuff, but learn the rules. He still is convinced that the catcher has to clear around the runner no matter where she is. I'll probably get tossed next time when I offer him a printed copy of the rule as well, but I guess thems the breaks. What we really need to do is travel further to play instead of playing with these same umpires all the time.

Jun 22, 2008
Contact the tournament director and lodge a complaint and then get the name of the UIC for the tournament and call them and lodge another complaint.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Nov 18, 2015
Thanks for posting. Had nearly an identical conversation with an umpire during a scrimmage yesterday.

Do USA rules really require the catcher to actually throw the ball in order to get an interference call?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 11, 2018
I've seen so many versions of this complaint.
1. Had a catcher pop up and shove the batter out of way. Told her don't do that. Did it more forceful a couple innings later. I called time and called both coaches. Batter was well trained and a "statue". Catcher whined loudly she is in my way. Explained the rule to everyone and gave a warning to the catcher and coach.
2. Before a game even started coach came up to me and asked if I call interference on batter on throws to bases. Told him I make all interference calls when they occur. Every throw down to bases catcher huffed and looked at coach as if I missed a call. Between innings coach came out. I said the fact that the batter is moving doesn't constitute interference. There had been no interference. Late in game catcher threw to 3rd and hit batter - was clearly NOT intentional. I called the interference. Then offensive coach came and complained. Said he was going to have his catcher throw at the batters. Warned him he tried it he would be gone and he better have another catcher ready.

So what you describe is a "have to be there" situation. But I will acknowledge I have seen it not called when it really did happen. And it doesn't require a throw. The wording in the USA manual is "When hindering the catcher from catching or throwing the ball".

CoachJ5513

BlueJ5513
Sep 29, 2010
Texas
does "hinderance" require "intent"?
for example, if each batter steps out of the box on every pitch throughought the game would you automatically call interference on a pickoff attempt at 3B?

May 29, 2019
I just love the "The batter is backing out of the box so my catcher can't throw/The batter is a statue in the box so my catcher can't throw" arguments...Just make the play. If there's interference, it'll get called. If not, it won't.

Oct 15, 2018
Had an ump no call when our catcher threw to 3rd and the ball hit the batter. The batter had stepped out to look at her coach right into the throwing lane. First, thing ump said to me was that she had one foot still in the box, so she was fine and could move however. I asked even though she stepped right into the throwing lane? The one foot in box was his defense for her doing whatever she wanted. I got thrown one inning later for having enough of his made up rules. Of course he was our ump for the very next game too...

Jun 22, 2008
Thanks for posting. Had nearly an identical conversation with an umpire during a scrimmage yesterday.

Do USA rules really require the catcher to actually throw the ball in order to get an interference call?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Virtually all rulesets are pretty universal on this situation. The only situation where a throw is actually required for an interference call is on a running lane violation. Not only must there be a throw, it must be a quality throw because the interference is not with the throw itself, it is with the ability of the defense to receive the throw at 1st base. If there is no throw, there is no chance for there to be interference.

With regard to the batters box, no a throw is not required to call interference in any ruleset.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802