Batter interference?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 22, 2015
Sorry, disagree on this. If that is the case, and I am catching, I am hitting the batter every time.
I believe he's saying there isn't a magic line at the batter's box that makes moving within the box safe and outside the box an out. If you are standing still inside the box and making the normal movements consistent with taking a pitch or swinging then there would be no grounds for interference, but if you're moving backwards and hinder the catcher (even if the intent is to get out of the way) but are still within the box there is no protection just because you haven't crossed that line yet.

Jun 7, 2019
When I was coaching, this was something I had to go over with all the batters. Not because all of them were guilty of it, but because there are enough girls who - usually out of being polite and wanting to get out of the way - would try to clear a lane for the catcher’s throw. Often kills you either way - when IN the box, that back up move by the batter often coincides with the same move by the catcher who’s trying to get her own clear throwing lane. Guilty! And of course, same thing if her “get out of the way” move takes her out of the box. Just stay put!

Oct 11, 2018
When I was coaching, this was something I had to go over with all the batters. Not because all of them were guilty of it, but because there are enough girls who - usually out of being polite and wanting to get out of the way - would try to clear a lane for the catcher’s throw. Often kills you either way - when IN the box, that back up move by the batter often coincides with the same move by the catcher who’s trying to get her own clear throwing lane. Guilty! And of course, same thing if her “get out of the way” move takes her out of the box. Just stay put!
Yep, takes a while to teach. I used to tell my girls, when steal sign is on, if you take pitch or swing and miss, stay still and just watch the runner steal the base. don't look at the catcher.

May 29, 2015
As for the @RADcatcher move, as a catcher I did the same thing if I was coming up and going inside the batter (something a catcher should avoid if at all possible). For me it wasn't even a "gentle push out of the way" though. It was more of putting my arm up there to let the batter know "I'm going this way."

As an umpire, I wouldn't say anything to a catcher doing that AS LONG AS that is what it was. Now, if it got to actually pushing on the batter I would say something along the lines of "Coach ..." note I am not saying it to the catcher ... "I know what your catcher is doing and it can be good practice if done right. Just make sure she/he isn't actually pushing the batter out of the way." (At which point, a long conversation probably ensues over what the batter can and cannot do.)

Oct 2, 2015
This reminds me of something that happened in an intra-team scrimmage. R2 and R3 with a Left handed batter. Wild pitch bounces to catcher's left and both runners advance. Batter takes 3 steps straight back (towards 1B dugout and away from the play), no one covers home. Catcher lobs the ball towards plate that after crossing the plate hits the batter. R2 advances and scores. One coach told the batter she would be out in a game, the other said there was no play to interfere with. What's the right call? Does a LH batter have to vacate for a play at the plate? Should she stay put?

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
One coach told the batter she would be out in a game, the other said there was no play to interfere with.

As you write it - no play to interfere with; no call;

Does a LH batter have to vacate for a play at the plate? Should she stay put?

At the play at the plate the batter needs to vacate and avoid the play the best she can. DO NOT STAY PUT no matter what batters box you bat from.

Aug 25, 2019
This argument came up at a umpire zoom meeting last night. Quite a few fellow blues says the batter has to make an attempt to get out of the way, I still stay if the batter does nothing out of ordinary, just recovering from a swing or standing there, there is no interference on a throw to third.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee